Smith, Hale, 1972-1987
Scope and Contents
16 Hale Smith lectures can be found in the Black Experience in the Arts reel-to-reel collection. Smith was also the course's longtime co-instructor and responsible for selecting the class' many guest speakers since he knew many of the artists.
In his 1972 lecture, Smith spoke to students about black composers. Smith, who at the time was one of the few black composers whose work was performed by the New York Philharmonic, educated students about African-American composers such as William Grant Still, Howard Swanson,and Ulysses Kay.
Smith admitted he struggled with what constitutes black music because its such a fluid art form. He had reached the conclusion that jazz music, because of its proximity to blues, has a clear connection to black identity and cultural heritage. But Smith found less of a racial connection to composition and classical music.
He closed his presentation with a performance of blues composition.
Smith spoke on 10/3/1972 (2015-0002/RR14), 10/9/1973 (2015-0002/RR45), the fall of 1974 with no exact date provided (2015-0002/RR46), 1/28/1975 (2015-0002/RR47), 10/7/1975 (2015-0002/RR322), 1/31/1978 (2015-0002/RR48), 9/5/1978 (2015-0002/RR49), 9/4/1979 (2015-0002/RR50), 9/18/1979 (2015-0002/RR51), 9/2/1980 (2015-0002/RR52), 2/23/1982 (2015-0002/RR68), 9/7/1982 (2015-0002/RR69), 11/15/1983 (2015-0002/RR70), 3/27/1984 (2015-0002/RR71), 9/30/1986 (2015-0002/RR72), and lastly 9/8/1987 (2015-0002/RR73).
16 Reels (Magnetic tape audio recordings )
Language of Materials
From the Series: English
- African American composers Subject Source: Fast
- African American musicians Subject Source: Fast
- African Americans Subject Source: Fast
- African Americans in popular culture Subject Source: Fast
- Black Experience in the Arts Course (University of Connecticut) -- Sound recordings Subject Source: Local sources
- Educators Subject Source: Fast
- Sound recordings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Storrs (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Reel: 2015-0002/RR14 (Audio)
- Reel: 2015-0002/RR45 - RR52 (Audio)
- Reel: 2015-0002/RR68 - RR73 (Audio)
- Reel: 2015-0002/RR322 (Audio)
- Reel: 2015-0002/RR14 (digitized)
- Reel: 2015-0002/RR45 (digitized)
- Reel: 2015-0002/RR51 (digitized)
- Reel: 2015-0002/RR68 - RR73 (digitized)
- Reel: 2015-0002/RR52 (digitized)