Skip to main content

CT Business. Connecticut Business

 Record Group
Identifier: CT Business
The Connecticut business collections document Connecticut’s evolution from an agrarian society to one that played a vital role in the Industrial Revolution. Comprised of daybooks from grist mills, dairy farms, and quarries of the early 19th century to annual reports and stock statements of companies whose dealings extended internationally in the mid and late 20th century, the majority of the archives are of businesses that made Connecticut an industry leader in the 19th and early 20th century/ Products include textiles and silk, brass and hardware manufacturing, clocks and watches, heavy machinery and tools, and telecommunications, with some collections in the areas of banking, rubber manufacturing, knitting needles, surgical sutures, toiletries and thermoses.

Found in 81 Collections and/or Records:

Account Books Collection

 Collection
Identifier: 1979-0001
Abstract

The books fall into three categories: farmers, storekeepers and businesses.

Dates: 1774-1892

American Brass Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1997-0996
Abstract The American Brass Company was founded in 1893 with the consolidation of five existing brass mills in the Waterbury, Connecticut area. Intended as a holding company, American Brass absorbed the following companies: Plume & Atwood Manufacturing, Benedict & Burnham Manufacturing, Waterbury Brass, Scoville Manufacturing, Holmes, Booth and Haydens, and Coe Brass Manufacturing. The collection dates from circa 1800 to 1978 and provides a unique view of one of the major brass producers in...
Dates: undated, 1780-1978

American Hardware Corporation Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1995-0013
Abstract

The records consist of financial records associated with the American Hardware Corporation of New Britain, Connecticut, its predecessor companies P. & F. Corbin and Russell & Erwin Manufacturing Company, and divisions Corbin Cabinet Lock Company and Corbin Screw Corporation.

Dates: undated, 1859-1953

American Montessori Society Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2006-0230
Abstract

The American Montessori Society (AMS) Records document the history of an important American educational organization, and consist of printed, typescript, and handwritten materials; sound recordings; films; photographs; and slides. The collection, although not complete, reflects AMS's professional and administrative activities and also provides historical information about the Montessori system of education in general.

Dates: undated, 1907-2019

American Standard Company, Wauregan, Connecticut, Plant Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1989-0084
Abstract American Standard was created from the 1929 merger of the American Radiator Company and the Standard Sanitary Manufacturing Company. The Company was then known as American Radiator & Standard Sanitary Corporation. It changed its name to “American Standard” in 1967 to reflect the Company's familiar plumbing products brand name. American Standard is the world's largest producer of bathroom and kitchen fixtures and fittings and one of the world's largest producers of air conditioning and...
Dates: circa 1950-1975

American Thread Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1998-0302
Abstract

In 1898, the English Sewing Company of England purchases the Willimantic Linen Company and other New England mills and form the American Thread Company. The Willimantic mill was closed when the company moved to North Carolina in 1985.

Dates: 1953-1978

Barnum, Richardson Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1980-0037
Abstract Barnum, Richardson Company was established in 1830 in Salisbury, CT. The company was based on a foundry that remelt pig iron. Barnum, Richardson and Company, as it was first called, was a small firm specializing in the production of clock and sash weights, plow castings, and other small items. In the 1860s there were several reorganizations and name changes. The company merged and expanded into the turn of the century and was purchased in 1920 by the Salisbury Iron Company. The Salisbury...
Dates: undated, 1793-1925

Beach, Calder, Anderson & Alden Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1997-0016
Abstract

Beach, Calder, Anderson & Alden was a law firm founded in 1919 in Bristol, Connecticut. The collection consists of documents relating to the firm's representation of Bristol Brass Company and E. Ingraham Company.

Dates: 1940-1980

Beckwith Card Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1998-0304
Abstract

Manufacturer of cards known as card clothing or hand and stripper cards. Located in Stafford Springs, CT.

Dates: 1888-1894

Belding Brothers and Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1989-0076
Abstract

Belding Brothers and Company were silk manufacturers in Rockville, Connecticut, with additional mills in Northampton, Massachusetts, Belding, Michigan, San Francisco, California, and Montreal, Canada.

Dates: 1893-1903

Blickensderfer Manufacturing Company Typewriter

 Collection
Identifier: 2002-0063
Abstract

The collection consists of a Blickensderfer 6, a portable typewriter produced by the Blickensderfer Manufacturing Company in 1906, with its original carrying case.

Dates: 1906

Bristol Brass Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1997-0029
Abstract The Bristol Brass Company was founded as the Bristol Brass and Clock Company in 1850, the creation of sixteen industrialists from Bristol clock and Waterbury brass interests who hoped to profit in the booming clock industry of Bristol, CT. Although the company never manufactured clocks, only the brass mechanisms for the timepieces, it was many years before it changed its name to Bristol Brass Company. It was the largest employer in Bristol, with 375 employees by 1880. Its mainstay was the...
Dates: undated, 1911-1982

Centerbank (Center Financial Corporation) Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2016-0042
Scope and Contents The collection consists of administrative records of Centerbank (Center Financial Corporation), dated mostly from the period of when it merged with Waterbury Savings Bank in 1989 to its demise in 1996. Includes documents that chronicle the merger of Centerbank with First Union Bank of Connecticut in 1996. All of the records were those gathered and saved by Mr. Robert J. Narkis, a lawyer of Waterbury, Connecticut, and member of the Board of Directors of Centerbank (Center Financial...
Dates: 1985-1996

C.H. Dexter Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2000-0128
Abstract The Dexter Corporation originated from a family-owned saw and grist mill that began in 1767 in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, and evolved into a multi-national producer of long fiber papers and chemical laminates. In its 233 years of operation, the company grew from manufacturing tissues, toilet paper, and tea bags to marketing more specialized products like medical garments and industrial finishes. Faced with a proposed buyout by International Specialty Products Incorporated in 2000, the...
Dates: 1829-1999

Orwell S. Chaffee Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1998-0138
Abstract

Orwell S. Chaffee (1807-1887) was a silk manufacturer in the Mansfield/Willimantic area of eastern Connecticut. Son-in-law to Joseph Conant, he worked in, and later managed, Conant's silk mill until 1838 when he purchased property in Chaffeeville and established his own silk mill. The collection contains correspondence, receipts and invoices addressed to Mr. O.S. Chaffee.

Dates: 1846-1854, 1903

Chatham Quarry Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1980-0001
Abstract The Chatham Quarry, or Town Quarry, was a small part of the extensive brownstone quarries located on the banks of the Connecticut River near the towns of Portland and Middletown, Connecticut. The Chatham Quarry, which took in about two acres, remained under municipal control for the use of the inhabitants of the towns of Chatham and Middletown throughout its existence. In 1824, the town of Middletown leased the quarry to John Lawrence Lewis for five years in order to extract stones for the...
Dates: 1818-1842

Cheney Brothers Silk Manufacturing Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1984-0026
Abstract In 1838, six Cheney brothers established the Mount Nebo Silk Company in Manchester, CT. The company adopted the family name in 1843. Aided by booming national markets, a protective tariff, and innovative production methods, the company grew into the nation's largest and most profitable silk mill by the late 1880s. The company pioneered the wastesilk spinning method and the Grant's reel. The company reached its peak in 1923, after which it quickly declined due to industry wide overproduction...
Dates: undated, 1734 - 1979

Frederick W. Chesson Connecticut Iron Industry Collection

 Collection
Identifier: 1999-0114
Abstract

Resident of Waterbury, Connecticut, and historian of Connecticut business and industry. Collection includes collected literature about the early iron industry in the United States, particularly Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.

Dates: undated, 1920-1949

C.J. Bates Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2000-0076
Abstract

Founded by Carlton J. Bates (1848-1941) in 1907, the C.J. Bates Company manufactured manicure sets, crochet hooks, and knitting needles in Chester, Connecticut.

Dates: 1817-1980

Cole and Ambler Hat Manufacturers Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1991-0041
Abstract

Cole and Ambler was one of the more than twenty hat manufacturers in Bethel, Connecticut during the nineteenth century.

Dates: 1852-1886

Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Company, Haddam Neck Plant Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2006-0202
Abstract Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Company was a nuclear power plant located in Haddam Neck, Connecticut. It began commercial operation in 1968 and produced over 110 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity in its 29 years of service. In 1996 the CY Board of Directors voted to permanently close the plant and decommissioning was completed in 2007. The records consist of plant design drawings, plant historical records, employee newsletters, environmental reports, regulatory correspondence,...
Dates: undated, 1963-2005

Ernest G. L. Craig Collection of Malleable Iron Fittings Company Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: 1989-0057
Abstract

Malleable Iron Fittings was incorporated in 1864 in Branford, Connecticut, to manufacture iron pipe fillings. It was acquired by Waltham Industries in 1969 and closed its doors in 1971. The collection consists of photographs of the company's shop floor, some possibly taken by Ernest G.L. Craig, an electrical and plant engineer at the company from 1935 to 1968.

Dates: undated, 1967

Davis and Geck Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1998-0297
Abstract The Davis and Geck Company was founded in 1909 by Charles T. Davis and Fred A. Geck. The company specialized in surgical sutures, beginning with catgut and moving on to kangaroo tendons and later to advanced synthetic materials. For much of its history, Davis and Geck was the world's second largest producer of surgical sutures. The company became part of American Cyanamid in 1930. After subsequent sales, the company was renamed Sherwood, Davis and Geck. Though the D+G offices were initially...
Dates: undated, 1909-1997

Deep River Lace Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-0002
Abstract

The collection contains administrative and financial records, correspondence, patterns and samples documenting the later years of the last Leavers loom lace manufacturer in the state of Connecticut.

Dates: undated, 1922-1983

Thomas Dublin Research Collection of the Jewett City Cotton Manufacturing Company

 Collection
Identifier: 2011-0141
Abstract

The collection consists of research notes and datasets compiled by Thomas Dublin while he conducted research in the 1980s about workers at the Jewett City Cotton Manufacturing Company in Jewett City, Connecticut. Professor Dublin used materials about the company that are in the Slater Company Records, held in Archives & Special Collections at the University of Connecticut Libraries.

Dates: undated, 1985-1991

E. E. Dickinson Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1996-0001
Abstract Founded in 1875 by Edward E. Dickinson, Sr., the company refined the development of witch hazel begun by the Reverend Thomas N. Dickinson. A family controlled company until its sale, E. E. Dickinson survived the Depression and both World Wars intact and profitable. By 1983, and no longer thriving, the family sold the company to a group of investors. Two years later it was sold again, this time to the German pharmaceutical concern, Merz Inc. Currently, the only portion of the E. E. Dickinson...
Dates: undated, 1840-1979

E. Ingraham Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1980-0034
Abstract

For more than a century, the E. Ingraham Company was a prominent family-operated manufacturer of clocks and watches, with headquarters and plants located in Bristol, Connecticut

Dates: undated, 1840-1967

Emhart Corporation Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1989-0085
Abstract: Emhart Corporation was a multinational company located in Farmington, Connecticut. Prior to its 1989 merger with Black & Decker, Emhart operated in over one hundred countries with a world-wide work force of 30,000 employees. Emhart's products included machines for the manufacture of glass bottles and shoes; filling, sealing and packaging machinery; security systems; electronics; chemical products; metal fasteners; rubber processing equipment; and consumer and do-it-yourself products....
Dates: undated, 1883-1989

Farrel Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1989-0053
Abstract The Farrel Company was founded in 1848 in Ansonia, Connecticut, by Almon Farrel and his son Franklin, and made brass and iron castings, wooden mortise gears and parts for water-power plants. By the 1860s the company was producing rollng mill equipment for the rapidly expanding copper and brass industries, and pioneered in the development of processing machinery for the rubber industry. Other items produced included stone and ore crushers, iron rolls (used for milling) and processing...
Dates: undated, 1800-1993

Frederick G. Holland Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2005-0066
Abstract

The collection contains financial records, legal documents, blueprints, drawings, newspaper clippings and photographs of the houses built by the Frederick G. Holland Company between 1923 and 1959. The houses were constructed primarily in a housing development in East Hartford, Connecticut, although additional properties in Bloomfield, Hartford, Wethersfield and South Windsor are included. A later addition added documentation on the history of the land and house sales.

Dates: undated, 1908-2021