CT Labor. Labor History
Found in 48 Collections and/or Records:
The collection contains records from the New England regional office of the AFL-CIO.
Photocopies of articles from different newspapers related to a strike by employees of the Milford Mental Health Clinic in 1983. The strikers were a part of AFSCME Local 1303, a labor union that represents public service workers throughout Connecticut, and the United States.
Labor union of workers in the printing and publishing trades in the Hartford, Connecticut, region. Collection consists of a meeting minute book, 1896-1905, and a seal press of the Ladies Auxiliary No. 72, undated but indicating after 1926.
Records generated through the extensive career of Dominic J. Badolato (1919-1911), who served as a member of the Connecticut House of Representatives, representing New Britain, from 1954 to 1976, and was the founding head of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Union, Council 4, in New Britain, Connecticut, from 1968 to 1996.
Originally chartered in 1892 as Local 155 of the Journeymen Bakers and Confectioners International Union located in Waterbury Connecticut. In 1904, the name was changed to Bakery and Confectionery Workers International Union. In 1978, the union merged with Tobacco Workers Union to create the present union. Each time the international name changed the local received a new charter. The Local history can be found in Series IV.
Merlin D. Bishop was born 5 October 1907, in Alhambra, Illinois. Bishop worked at the Ford Motor Company between 1925 and 1931. He then attended Wayne University (Detroit, MI) and in 1935-1936, was a member of the Extension Staff of Brookwood Labor College. He was later involved with the United Auto Workers of America, the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America and the Connecticut Governor's Fact-Finding Commission on Education.
Born in 1913 in Plainville, New Jersey, Roger Borrup worked for the Hartford Times as a printer and typesetter for 44 years until his retirement in 1975. A long-time member of the Hartford Typographical Union, No. 127, Borrup was also the co-founder, incorporator and trustee of the Connecticut Electric Railway Association. Roger Borrup died 9 September 1987 at the age of 74.
Brotherhood of Railway and Steamship Clerks, Freight Handlers, Express, and Station Employees Records
The collection contains publications, contracts, convention materials, constitutions, shop manuals, labor agreements, histories, pamphlets and other published materials gathered from labor unions and organizations in Connecticut.
In 1957, the Connecticut Federation of Labor and the Connecticut State Industrial Union Council (CSIUC) merged to form the Connecticut State Labor Council, AFL-CIO, generally referred to today as the Connecticut State AFL-CIO. The stated purpose of the new organization was to provide a more effective means of promoting and coordinating the principles and objectives of the AFL-CIO in Connecticut.
The Diocesan Labor Institute was founded in 1942 by Joseph F. Donnelly, then a Waterbury parish priest, later a monsignor, and eventually Auxiliary Bishop of the Hartford Archdiocese. The main purpose of Institute was to instruct workers on Catholic social philosophy and on the basics of trade unionism.
Scrapbook containing newspaper clippings and photographs concerning Jeremiah Driscoll's activities with Royal Industrial Union (Local 937, UAW-CIO) of Hartford, Connecticut, public concerns of evictions of families from housing projects because of their "over-income", unionization efforts in Connecticut businesses, and state politics.
Papers of John J. Driscoll, labor leader in the Connecticut state AFL-CIO. Materials include photographs, framed certificates of appreciation, day books, published material (newspaper and magazine articles, labor literature), and scrapbooks. Also includes some legal papers created by Bridgeport, Connecticut, judge Margaret Connors Driscoll, John's wife.
Collection consists of a scrapbook of newspaper clippings compiled by Gallagher documentingabout his tenure as a labor leader in Connecticut and about labor activities in Putnam, Norwich, and Willimantic, Connecticut.
The Greater Hartford Labor Council (GHLC) was formed in 1957. All local unions belonging to an international affiliated to the AFL-CIO or affiliated to the AFL-CIO directly are able to join the central labor body in their region upon payment of dues.
This local was originally chartered on 1 March 1893 as Local 76 of the United Association of Journeymen Plumbers, Gas Fitters, Steamfitters and Steamfitters Helpers of the United States and Canada.
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Aeronautical Industrial District Lodge 91 Records
The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW), Canel Lodge 700 was founded on 20 April 1959. The lodge, located in Middletown, Connecticut, was organized by machinists at the Canel Atomic Testing Lab. In 1959, the local gained collective bargaining recognition from the Canel Lab. Pratt and Whitney took over the plant circa 1965. Pratt and Whitney continued union recognition after the takeover.
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Industrial Aircraft, Lodge 743 Records
Chartered in 1941 to represent members of the International Association of Machinists at Hamilton Standard in East Hartford, Connecticut. In 1952, it moved to Windsor Locks, Connecticut.
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Industrial Aircraft Lodge 1746 Records
The International Aircraft Lodge 1746 was chartered on 1 November 1945. The local represents production workers at United Technologies Corporation's Pratt and Whitney plant in East Hartford, Connecticut. The workers make jet engines and other components for commercial and military aircraft. Lodge 1746 is a member of IAMAW District 91.
Chartered in 1974, representing machinists at United Aircraft’s Pratt and Whitney plant in North Haven, Connecticut. Originally organized as the United Automobile Workers Local 1234 in 1952.
The collection covers the period 1958 through 1961, although the majority of the materials are dated 1959-1960. The Lodge Records include correspondence, by-laws, agreements, minutes and financial records.