Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum Collection
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of items created and gathered by Ellsworth E. Williams, Jr., that detail the life of a station agent and freight terminal supervisor for the New Haven Railroad.
- undated, 1923, 1925, 1940-1977
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
The Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum was established on November 6, 1992, in Willimantic, Connecticut. The museum, run entirely by volunteers, is located off Bridge Street in downtown Willimantic, Connecticut, on the original site of the Columbia Junction Freight Yard. The museum consists of locomotives and rolling stock, as well as vintage railroad buildings and a six-stall roundhouse reconstructed on the original foundation.
Ellsworth E. Williams Jr. was born on January 11, 1933 and died on April 19, 1990. He was a field terminal supervisor (station agent) in Plainfield and later Norwich, Connecticut, for the New Haven Railroad and after 1969 for Penn Central and ConRail, and lived in Woodstock and Quinebaug, Connecticut.
0.5 Linear Feet (One box of correspondence, newspaper clippings, photocopies, photographic prints and publications.)
Language of Materials
The Collection consists of materials created and gathered by Plainfield, Connecticut, railroad station agent and field terminal supervisor Ellsworth E. Williams, Jr.
Provenance and Acquisition
The collection was donated by the Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum in June 2015. The collection was previously owned by Ellsworth E. Williams's daughter who donated it to the Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum in June 2014.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Railroad stations Subject Source: Fast
- Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum Collection
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2015 August
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US