University of Connecticut, WHUS Records
Scope and Content
The collection contains reel to reel and audio cassette tape sound recordings of programs aired on WHUS between 1974 and 1993.
- undated, 1974-1993
The collection is open and available for research with the exception of the audiotapes (Boxes 1-5) which require the production of listening copies to be made.
Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
In 1922 WABL the radio station for the Connecticut Agricultural College began operation; two years after the first commercial station broadcasts in the United States. The station was located in the Mechanic Arts building. The acquistion of radio facilities and equipment for was due primarily to the efforts of Daniel Noble, a member of the Engineering faculty.
By 1926, the campus radio station, now using the call letters WCAC, begins broadcasting simultaneously with WTIC in Hartford. Programs include a 15 minute agricultural program, 45 minute studio program, including an organ recital, and a one hour industrial program.
The call letters WHUS were used for the first time in 1947.
WHUS Radio is the noncommercial college and community radio station at the University of Connecticut. WHUS is staffed by a mix of students and community members, and is governed by a voting staff and Operations Board.
Additional information is available on the WHUS website.
6 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains sound recordings played and/or produced by the student radio station at the University of Connecticut, WHUS.
Provenance and Acquisition
WHUS Zine, Fall 2018 from 2022accession located in Dodd Periodicals.
- University of Connecticut, WHUS Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2012 February
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description