University of Connecticut, Center for Contemporary African Studies Records
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains administrative records, clippings, correspondence, notes, pamphlets, publications, and financial records for the Center from 1990-2006.
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
The Center for Contemporary African Studies at the University of Conneccticut was established in 1991. It offered formal programs of graduate studies, encouraged research on Africa, fostered student and faculty exchanges with African universities, organized a speakers' program and a film series, sponsored visiting scholars, and offered information on Africa-related activities and resources to the wider community. The Center drew its faculty from departments throughout the university, ranging from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, the School of Education, and the School of Medicine. The Center for Contemporary African Studies was phased out in 2009. Although there have been discussions since then about how to preserve options for maintaining some of its functions, no successor center or program has emerged to date.
1.3 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains administrative records, clippings, correspondence, notes, pamphlets, publications, and financial records relating to the Center for Contemporary African Studies which existed at the University of Connecticut from 1991-2009.
Provenance and Acquisition
The records were transferred in 2009 after the Center was closed.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Connecticut, Center for Contemporary Africa Studies Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2012 November
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description