University of Connecticut, Admissions Office Records
Scope and Content
The collection consists primarily of enrollment reports. Recent announcements, brochures, and several related reports have been included.
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
The University of Connecticut traces its founding to the establishment of the Storrs Agricultural School on 21 April 1881 by an act of the Connecticut General Assembly. The main campus, located in Storrs, Connecticut was originally a gift of 170 acres of land, several frame buildings, and money from Charles and Augustus Storrs. The School opened on 28 September 1881, with twelve students in the first class. Before the turn of the century there were two name changes (Storrs Agricultural College 1893, Connecticut Agricultural College 1899). In 1933, two years after the institution celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, it became Connecticut State College, a name more in keeping with its steady advances and broadened mission. Six years later, in 1939, the General Assembly designated the institution the University of Connecticut, an acknowledgment of the institution's developing importance to the State in graduate and professional education, research and public service.
It is the function of the Admissions Office to enrol qualified new students at the University. To support this goal, the office works with interested students and guidance counselors through Open Houses, as well as participating in regional and national college fairs.
As of Fall 2003, the University of Connecticut enrolled 19,287 undergraduates and 7,342 graduate and professional students in seventeen Schools and Colleges. Admissions at the University is now divided between two offices, Undergraduate Admissions and the Graduate School. Enrollment statistics are collected, maintained and reported by the Office of Institutional Research (OIR).
1.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Administrative records of the University of Connecticut Admissions office. The collections consists primarily of enrollment reports, although several other reports and some brochures are also included.
Series I: Administrative Records (1955-2003) includes all the files acquired from, or information supplied by, the Admissions Office.
These materials are distributed periodically throughout the administration of the University. The most recent collection of enrollment statistics is available electronically from the Office of Institutional Research.
The following materials have been separated from the collection and cataloged:
Report on Admissions, 1961-1980
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Brochures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Storrs (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- University of Connecticut, Admissions Office Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2004 July
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description