University of Connecticut, Alumni Association Records
Scope and Content
The collection contains administrative and financial records of the earlier years of the organization, in addition to reports, correspondence, publications and similar documentation of the activities of the organization and the alumni of the institution. As appropriate, materials collected from Alumni have been added to the collection.
- undated, 1881-1986
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
On 15 June 1888, a meeting was held at the Storrs Agricultural School to form an Alumni Association. Isacc B. Wakeman ’85 was elected as the first president. A list of graduates was read at the first meeting, including six from each of the Classes of 1882, 1884, and 1885 and twenty-nine from 1886, 1887, and 1888 for a total of forty-seven alumni. Dues for the new association were set at $1.
The Association first became interested in supporting students in 1890 as it set up a $10 prize for a member of the graduating class who passed a practical examination before an alumni committee. The Association also appointed a committee to encourage the appointment of an alumnus on the Board of Trustees. The Constitution and By-laws of 1888 were put into print in 1892. Dr. Andrew L. Hyde was appointed the first Alumni Trustee in 1895.
On 15 June 1894, it was voted to change the Association's name to the Alumni Association of the Storrs Agricultural School and College. In 1895, the name was once again changed to the Alumni Association of Storrs Agricultural College.
In 1921 it was voted to have an Alumni Secretary; the position to be funded jointly by the Association and the University. Mr. A. J. Brundage, Class of 1910, was engaged as the first Secretary on a part-time basis. The next Field Secretary was Robert H. Mathewson (1922-1924) who developed an alumni newspaper, The Connecticut Alumnus.
During the early twenties, the By Laws were re-written, and the dues increased to $2 annually or $34 for life membership. In 1933, the Association became the Connecticut State College Alumni Association, and during 1939 the University of Connecticut Alumni Association. Willard Eddy was president of the Alumni Association when the Board of Directors selected George E. Pinckney as Alumni Field Secretary. Mr. Pinckney served twenty-four years as Alumni Secretary.
The Constitution and By Laws were revised in 1961 and dues were increased to $5. The alumni body numbered 24,000 in 1962 when George Pinckney retired and Reuben B. Johnson became the first director of alumni relations. In November 1962, President Babbidge and Reuben Johnson developed a new role for alumni in the establishment of a "Margin for Excellence" program that successfully continues today.
The mission of the Alumni Association is to strengthen lifelong bonds between all members of the UConn family by inspiring pride and providing quality programs and services which enhance the diverse university community.
Additional information about the Association, its activities and officers is available at the Alumni Association homepage.
4.8 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains early records of the Alumni Association associated with the University.
Series I: Administrative Records (undated, 1881-1945, 1961, 1970) includes correspondence, reports, financial and administrative records documenting the activities of the Association.
Series II: Alumni Record Cards (1883-1942) contains information cards on alumni of the institution.
Series III: Alumni Correspondence (undated, 1961-1966) contains correspondence, notes and clippings from Alumni.
Series IV: Class Materials (undated, 1924-1986) contains correspondence, financial records and materials pertaining to reunions for specific classes.
The materials were transferred to Archives & Special Collections at an undetermined date prior to 1995.
The following materials have been separated from the collection and cataloged:
Commencement Clarion Dodd Periodicals
C.A.C. Four Songs Dodd Call No.
Directory: Faculty, Staff and Students Dodd Periodicals
Official Weekly Bulletin, Division of Student Personnel. Dodd Periodicals
News Bulletin Dodd Periodicals
Two audio tapes and 6 slide carousels [Multimedia] associated with presentations, 2 buttons and several paper hats [Memorabilia] have been placed in the indicated University Archives collections.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poems Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Resolutions (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sound recordings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- bylaws (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Connecticut, Alumni Association Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2004 July
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description