American Thread Company Records
Scope and Content
The collection consists of one print and twenty-four (25) annual reports which provide information on officers, earnings, and information of interest to stockholders.
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
In 1898, the English Sewing Company of England purchased the Willimantic Linen Company England mills and formed the American Thread Company locally known as “ATCO” or “the THREAD”. The Willimantic mill was closed when the company moved to North Carolina in 1985.
(Source: Matthew Roth. Connecticut: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites. Society for Industrial Archeology, 1981. Information provided by Windham Textile and History Museum, 157 Union/Main Street, Willimantic, CT 06226)
1.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
In 1898, the English Sewing Company of England purchases the Willimantic Linen Company and other New England mills and form the American Thread Company. The Willimantic mill was closed when the company moved to North Carolina in 1985.
Unknown for every item except for the 1978 annual report, which was donated in February 2013 by W.J. Bartus of Long Valley, New Jersey.
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Cotton yarn industry Subject Source: Fast
- Illustrations (layout features). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mills and mill-work Subject Source: Fast
- Textile factories Subject Source: Fast
- Textile industry Subject Source: Fast
- Thread Subject Source: Fast
- Willimantic (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- American Thread Company Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 1998 January
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US