University of Connecticut, Bacteriology Department Records
Scope and Content
This is a collection of items that document the early history of the Bacteriology Department. It includes a written history of the department from its establishment in 1902 until 1965. It also includes an early textbook and some clippings. The papers appear to have belonged to Dr. Stanley Wedberg, head of the department from 1955 to 1966.
- undated, 1922-1966.
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
The Department traces its history to the Fall of 1902 when Dr. H. W. Conn began instruction. At that time his assistant was Professor William A. Stocking, Jr.. Later that year, Miss Christie J. Mason joined the staff. One room in the old Diary Building was used for experimentation and instruction and lectures were held in in the Old Main Building. In 1929, the department moved to the third floor of Beach Hall where it remained until 1961 and its relocation to the Torrey Life Sciences Building.
In the early 1970s, the department became part of the Biological Sciences Group. Additional information on what is now called the Biological Sciences can be found on its website.
0.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Written history of the department and related publications.
- University of Connecticut, Bacteriology Department Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 1997 June
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description