Connecticut Soldiers Collection, Donald C. Bliss Papers
Scope and Content
The collection contains correspondence from Sergeant Donald C. Bliss to his parents, sister and friends during his time spent in France in 1918 and 1919. His correspondence is primarily to his parents and contains descriptions of several army construction projects, brief vacations from camp, and his experiences as a singer in the army. His letters often discuss seasonal and domestic activity at home in Jewett City and consistently share information about his health, state of mind, diet and leisure activity.
- undated, 1918-1919
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
Sergeant Donald C. Bliss of Jewett City, Connecticut, was a soldier in the 48th Co. 20th Engineers, a Forest Engineer Regiment. He served in World War I in France from 1918-1919, primarily producing and providing construction materials to the army. Toward the end of his tour, he transferred to sing in an entertainment division.
0.15 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Donald C. Bliss of Jewett City, Connecticut, served in a Forest Engineer Regiment, 48th Co. 20th Engineers, in France during the first World War.
Series I: Correspondence (undated, 1918-1919). The correspondence is arranged by addressee and then chronologically.
This collection was purchased in February 2006.
Existence and Location of Copies
This collection has been digitized in its entirety and may be accessed online.
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Family papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jewett City (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Personal narratives Subject Source: Fast
- World War (1914-1918) Subject Source: Fast
- Connecticut Soldiers Collection, Donald C. Bliss Papers
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2007 November
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US