Skip to main content

University of Connecticut, Board of Trustees Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1987-0007

Scope and Content

The collection contains the official minutes, reports, recommendations and resolutions of the Board of Trustees of the University of Connecticut, as well as its subcommittees and task forces. The records date from the founding of the institution in 1881 as the Storrs Agricultural School through the present.

Dates

  • undated, 1881-

Access

The collection is open and available for research.

Restrictions on Use

Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.

History

In April 1881, the Connecticut General Assembly established the Storrs Agricultural School after accepting a gift of 170 acres of land, several frame buildings, and money from Charles and Augustus Storrs. The School opened on 28 September 1881, with twelve students in the first class. Before the turn of the century there were two name changes (Storrs Agricultural College 1893, Connecticut Agricultural College 1899). In 1933, two years after the institution celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, it became Connecticut State College, a name more in keeping with its steady advances and broadened mission. Six years later, in 1939, the General Assembly designated the institution the University of Connecticut, an acknowledgment of the institution's developing importance to the State in graduate and professional education, research and public service.

The University of Connecticut is recognized as the state's flagship institution of higher learning. Since its establishment, the University has grown to include 13 Schools and Colleges at its main campus in Storrs, separate Schools of Law and Social Work in Hartford, five regional campuses throughout the state and Schools of Medicine and Dentistry at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.

UConn is a Land Grant and Sea Grant College and a Space Grant Consortium institution. The University spans 4,104 acres at its main campus and five regional campuses, and an additional 162 acres at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.

Designated a Carnegie Foundation Research University-Extensive, UConn has more than 70 focused research centers where faculty, graduate students and undergraduates explore everything from improving human health to enhancing public education and protecting the country’s natural resources.

The Board of Trustees is comprised of 19 members: 12 appointed by the Governor; two elected by alumni; two elected by students; and three ex-officio, including the Governor and the Commissioners of Agriculture and Education. Additional information on the Board is available on its official website.

Extent

96 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

In April 1881, the Connecticut General Assembly established the Storrs Agricultural School after accepting a gift of 170 acres of land, several frame buildings, and money from Charles and Augustus Storrs. The School opened on September 28, 1881, with twelve students in the first class. Before the turn of the century there were two name changes (Storrs Agricultural College 1893, Connecticut Agricultural College 1899). In 1933, two years after the institution celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, it became Connecticut State College, a name more in keeping with its steady advances and broadened mission. Six years later, in 1939, the General Assembly designated the institution the University of Connecticut, an acknowledgment of the institution's developing importance to the State in graduate and professional education, research and public service.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged in the following series:

Series I: Minutes (1881- ) contains agendas, official minutes and supporting documentation and attachments.

Series II: Correspondence and Supporting materials (1970-1992) includes materials made available to the Board to assist in the decision making process and correspondence to and from Board members.

Series III: Subject Files (undated, 1970-1985) contains alphabetically arranged files and documents related to the Board on a wide variety of subjects.

Series IV: Committee Files (undated, 1977-2011) includes Budget and Finance, Buildings, Grounds and Environments, Health Affairs and Institutional Policy Committees.

Series V: Biographies and Plans (undated, 1936-1972>) consists of Trustee biographies, statements, plans and studies of the board. Biographies are arranged alphabetically while the remaining material is arranged chronologically.

Acquisition Information

The records are transferred to Archives & Special Collections by the University President's Office for permanent retention.

Existence and Location of Copies

Agenda and Minutes from 1903 - 2019 are available electronically via the Library's digital repository.

Separated Material

The following materials have been separated from the collection and cataloged:

Board of trustees meeting, 1995: Feb. 10, Dodd Video 263

Bibliography

Stemmons, Walter. Connecticut Agricultural College: A History.
Title
University of Connecticut, Board of Trustees Records
Status
Published
Author
Archives & Special Collections staff
Date
1998 April
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository

Contact:
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US