Skip to main content

University of Connecticut, Building Names Committee Records

Identifier: 1997-0082

Scope and Content

The collection contains administrative files, reports, memoranda, notes on the history of named buildings and correspondence dating from the creation of the committee in 1963-1964 to the change in chair in 1976. The files end with the chairmanship of Dean Dolan (School of Nursing). It is unknown how much longer the committee continued to operate after 1976.

The majority of the buildings considered were dormitories, although some academic buildings (Psychology) are mentioned. Only one regional campus building (Waterbury) is mentioned in the files.


  • 1963-1976


The collection is open and available for research.

Restrictions on Use

Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.


A resolution passed at the meeting of the University of Connecticut Board of Trustees on 20 February 1963 stated “That it is the policy of this Board to authorize the naming of University buildings or parts thereof in the future in the honor of certain individuals under” general conditions further described in the resolution. Within the year, President Homer Babbidge established a “faculty committee to study the matter of appropriate names for some of the University buildings which at present are not named in honor of any specific person.”

Chair of the Committee

1963-1974 Albert Van Dusen
1974-1975 David Ivry
1976 Josephine Dolan

The Committee made recommendations for the naming of new buildings, usually University of Connecticut scholars associated with the academic discipline to be housed in the building, or after Connecticut residents of note. The Committee also did research on existing building names and compiled lists of names for future use. Recommendations were made by the Committee to the President, who, in turn, would present them to the Board of Trustees for approval.


0.5 Linear Feet

Language of Materials



Committee materials pertaining to the naming of University buildings.

Acquisition Information


Related Material

Archives & Special Collections has a substantial collection of materials pertaining to the University, its history, administration, faculty, staff and students. For detailed information on these collections please contact the curator or ask at the Reading Room desk.

University of Connecticut, Building Names Committee Records
Archives & Special Collections staff
2001 October
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository

University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US