Lewis Katz Papers
Scope and Contents
Dr. Katz's adminstrative files shed light on issues facing the faculty and administrators of the University during the tumultuous period of the late 1960s-early 1970s. Topics touched on in the files include campus unrest, the establishment of the Inner College, a proposed secession of the Chemistry Department from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, as well as those raised in the Faculty Senate and Graduate School.
The documentation is rather scattered and not complete but complements the records of the Provost's Office, Graduate School, UCEPI. Inner College, Student Unrest (Photograph Collection) and faculty activism (Crisis at UConn, FRA).
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
Lewis Katz was appointed as Instructor in the Chemistry Department at the University of Connecticut in 1952. He was appointed Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs in circa 1981, a position he held until his retirement in 1988.
6.2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Lewis Katz Papers contain administrative documentation of his work as a Professor of Chemistry (1952-1988) and Vice President of Academic Affairs (circa 1981-1988) at the University of Connecticut, as well as his service on multiple University, College and Departmental committees.
Provenance and Acquisition
Unknown; presumably transferred by the Provost's Office after Dr. Katz's retirement.
Search files have been removed and destroyed according to Connecticut State retention requirements. One file on the Committee of Three has been removed and placed in the Committee of Three Records (collection is restricted).
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lewis Katz Papers
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2012 January
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note