Skip to main content

Connecticut Nurses' Association Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1997-0098

Scope and Content

The Connecticut Nurses' Association Records document the activities, history, and publications of this organization. The records contain minutes and reports from 1904 to 1986. Along with the records, this collection contains historical material about the Association and its achievements. As part of the historical material, an archive book was gathered by the members of CNA containing its' most important documents and memorabilia of the organization. The final series of the collection contain bound and unbound volumes of their publication, Connecticut Nursing News. The filing done by CNA has been preserved but some was reordered for better research access.

Dates

  • 1893-1996

Access

The collection is open and available for research.

Restrictions on Use

Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.

History

The Connecticut Nurses' Association (CNA) is a professional organization of Registered Nurses in Connecticut and a member of the American Nurses' Association (ANA). CNA is an organization working to improve health standards and health care services for the people of Connecticut. It strives for high standards in nursing, professional development of nurses, promotes nursing research, and advances the economic and general welfare of nurses. This association began with a goal of enhancing the educational standards of graduate nurses of Connecticut and its goals have grown to encompass the entire nursing profession.

CNA was established in 1904 as the Graduate Nurses' Association of Connecticut (GNA) out of the Connecticut Training School. Its main objective was to draft and introduce into legislation a bill to regulate nursing practice in Connecticut. In July 1905, its goal was achieved and the bill became law as the Connecticut Nurse Practice Act. After the first World War, GNA formally supported the ANA's quest to provide rank for army nurses. This bill was passed in 1920 providing relative rank for army nurses. In October of 1926, a State Headquarters was established combining three state nursing associations, GNA, the State League of Nursing Education, and the State Organization for Public Health Nursing, under one roof as the Connecticut State Nurses' Association (CSNA). During the depression of the 1930s the CSNA offered its support and help to nurses in Connecticut. They created a Loan and Emergency Fund in 1932 which was used to help those unemployed nurses needing assistance. They also adopted a group disability plan for its members.

The CSNA was not only concerned with nursing issues but was also concerned with protecting the public it served. In 1939, CSNA sponsored legislation defining the practice of nursing and requiring nurses being hired to become licensed by a state board. Many revisions and amendments were made to the Nurse Practice Act to better the profession of nursing for the patients and the nurses. CSNA also helped to regulate and improve the work hours and salaries of Connecticut nurses.

CSNA is now referred to as the Connecticut Nurses' Association. It is broken down into six regional councils which are geographically consistent with the Congressional districts of Connecticut. Each of the councils report back to a central governing body. This governing body consists of the Board of Directors and delegates from each region. The main headquarters of the CNA is located in Meriden, Connecticut.

Extent

14.75 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Connecticut Nurses' Association (CNA) is a professional organization of registered Nurses in Connecticut and a member of the American Nurses' Association (ANA). CNA was established in 1904 as the Graduate Nurses' Association (GNA) of Connecticut out of the Connecticut Training School. Its main objective was to draft and introduce into legislation a bill to regulate nursing practice in Connecticut. The main headquarters of the CNA is located in Meriden, Connecticut.

Arrangement

Series I: Records (1993-1986) consists of records from the main headquarters of the CNA. These record include financial statements, yearbooks, Board of Directors' minutes, along with minutes from other committees of the CNA. Included in these records are correspondence and publications of material for and about the CNA and its committees.

Series II: Historical Material (1893-1988) consists of an “Archive Book” and other material. The “Archive Book” was put together by the CNA members and includes such material as receipts for establishing the organization, the constitution and bylaws, membership cards, anniversary and commemorative publications, and pictures of important figures within the CNA. It also contains articles about the CNA, speeches, historical letters, and newspaper clippings. Nurse Practice Act material, group discussions, and reports are also included in this series.

Series III: Connecticut Nursing News (1923-1987) consists of a collection of the CNA publication from 1923 until 1987. This collection has bound journals, microfilm, and unbound issues of the Connecticut Nursing News. Some issues are missing from the collection.

Acquisition Information

The collection was donated to Archives & Special Collections in 1997 by the Connecticut Nurses' Association.

Related Material

Microfilm of Connecticut Nursing News v. 71-81 (1998-2009) is available in ASC Periodicals.
Title
Connecticut Nurses' Association Records
Status
Published
Author
Archives & Special Collections staff
Date
1997 July
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository

Contact:
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US