Floyd Cooper Collection
Scope and Content
The collection consists of one illustration on matte board. Mr. Cooper uses a watercolor wash and erasure process to create his illustrations.
- Creation: 1999
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
Author and illustrator Floyd Cooper attended the University of Oklahoma (B.F.A.). He has worked in advertising and for a greeting card company in Missouri prior to becoming a freelance illustrator (1984- present). He has received several awards:
Grandpa's Face by Eloise Greenfield Notable Book selection, American Library Association
Laura Charlotte by Kathryn Osebold Galbraith Parents' Choice Award, Parents' Choice Foundation (1990)
Meet Danitra Brown by Nikki Grimes Coretta Scott King Honor citation for Illustration, American Library Association (1995)
- Coming Home: From the Life of Langston Hughes, Philomel, 1994.
- Mandela: From the Life of the South African Statesman, Philomel, 1996.
- (with Bill Martin. Michael Sampson. City Scenes, Celebration, 1997.
- Cumbayah, Morrow, 1998.
- Margaret Davidson, The Story of Jackie Robinson, Bravest Man in Baseball, Dell, 1988.
- Eloise Greenfield, Grandpa's Face, Philomel, 1988.
- Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard, Chita's Christmas Tree, Bradbury Press, 1989.
- Kathryn O. Galbraith, Laura Charlotte, Philomel, 1990.
- Jacqueline Woodson, Martin Luther King Jr. and His Birthday, Silver-Burdett, 1990.
- Karen Lynn Williams, When Africa Was Home, Orchard Books, 1991.
- Deborah Eaton, Petey, Silver Burdett, 1992.
- Denise Burden-Patmon, Imani's Gift at Kwanzaa, Modern Curriculum Press, 1992.
- Jean Merrill, The Girl Who Loved Caterpillars: A Twelfth- Century Tale from Japan, Philomel, 1992.
- Virginia M. Fleming, Be Good to Eddie Lee, Philomel, 1993.
- Joyce Carol Thomas, Brown Honey in Broomwheat Tea: Poems, HarperCollins, 1993.
- Wade Hudson, selector, Pass It On: African-American Poetry for Children, Scholastic, 1993.
- Sandra Belton, From Miss Ida's Porch, Four Winds Press, 1993.
- Gerald Hausman, reteller, Coyote Walks on Two Legs: A Book of Navajo Myths and Legends, Philomel, 1993.
- Judith Gorog, Tiger Lily, Philomel, 1994.
- Nikki Grimes, Meet Danitra Brown, Lothrop, 1994.
- Kathryn D. Jones, Happy Birthday, Dr. King, Modern Curriculum Press, 1994.
- Candy Dawson Boyd, Daddy, Daddy, Be There, Philomel, 1995.
- Joyce Carol Thomas, Gingerbread Days: Poems, HarperCollins, 1995.
- Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard, Papa Tells Chita a Story, Simon & Schuster, 1995.
- Wade and Cheryl Hudson, selectors, How Sweet the Sound: African-American Songs for Children, Scholastic, 1995.
- Carol J. Farley, King Sejong's Secret, Lothrop, 1995.
- James Haskins and Kathleen Benson, African Beginnings, Lothrop, 1995.
- Virginia Hamilton, Jaguarundi, Blue Sky Press, 1995.
- Jane Kurtz, Pulling the Lion's Tale, Simon & Schuster, 1995.
- Monalisa DeGross, Arabbin' Man, Hyperion, 1996.
- Nikki Grimes, Danitra Brown Leaves Town, Lothrop, 1996.
- Virginia L. Kroll, Faraway Drums, Little, Brown, 1996.
- Alan Schroeder, Satchmo's Blues, Doubleday, 1996.
- Nancy Lamb, One April Morning: Children Remember the Oklahoma City Bombing, Lothrop, 1996.
- Patricia C. McKissack, Ma Dear's Aprons, Atheneum, 1997.
- J. C. Collins, I Have Heard of a Land, HarperCollins, 1997.
- Jane Yolen, Miz Berlin Walks, Philomel, 1997.
- Robert Miller, Reflections of a Black Cowboy, Silver Burdett Press, 1998.
- Jane Kurtz, Almaz and the Lion, Puffin, 1998.
- Ziporah Hildebrandt, Sea Girl and the Dragon King: a Chinese Folktale, Atheneum Books, 1998.
- Fatima Shaik, On Mardi Gras Day, Dial, 1998.
- Amy Littlesugar, Shake Rag: from the lkife of Elvis Presley, Philomel, 1998.
- James Haskins, African Beginnings, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1998.
- Robert Miller, Cowboys, Silver Burdett Press, 1999.
- Jim Haskins, Bound for America, Morrow Junior, 1999.
- Robert Miller, The Buffalo Soldiers, Silver Burdett Press, 1999.
- Robert Miller, Pioneers, Silver Burdett press, 1999.
- Robert Miller, Mountain Men, Silver Burdett Press, 1999.
- Michael Sampson, Caddie, the golf dog, Tommy Nelson, 1999.
- Amy Littlesugar, Tree of Hope, Philomel, 1999.
- Monalisa DeGross, Grandaddy's Street Songs, Jump at the Sun/Hyperion, 1999.
- Will Smith, Just the Two of Us, Scholastic, 2001.
- Amy Littlesugar, Feddom school, Yes!, Philomel, 2001.
- Jacqueline Woodson, Sweet, Sweet Memory, Jump at the Sun/Hyperion Books, 2001.
- Elizabeth Alexander and Marilyn Nelson, Miss Crandall's school for young ladies & little misses of color, Honesdale, PA: Wordsong, 2007.
Source: Contemporary Authors Online. The Gale Group, 1999.
1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Author and illustrator Floyd Cooper attended the University of Oklahoma (B.F.A.). He has worked in advertising and for a greeting card company in Missouri prior to becoming a freelance illustrator (1984- present).
Donated to Archives & Special Collections by Mr. Cooper during the 1999 Northeast Children's Bookfair.
The following materials have been separated from the collection and cataloged:
Miss Crandall's school for young ladies & little misses of color Dodd CLC C5066
- Floyd Cooper Collection
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2000 September
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description