Gregory Corso Papers
Scope and Content
The collection contains correspondence pertaining to the publication of Corso's poems in an anthology and manuscripts of poems, a notebook and an essay.
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
Gregory Corso was born 26 March 1930, in New York, NY, the son of Fortunato Samuel and Michelina (Colonni) Corso. His career included working as a writer, manual laborer in New York City (1950-1951), and employee of the Los Angeles Examiner (Los Angeles, CA, 1951-1952), a merchant seaman on Norwegian vessels (1952-1953) and in the English department of the State University of New York at Buffalo (1965-1970). He appeared in Peter Whitehead's film, “Wholly Communion” and in Andy Warhol's “Couch.” He wrote novels, short stories, plays, screenplays and poetry. Corso was awarded the Longview Award for poem, “Marriage”, $1,000 Poetry Foundation award, the Jean Stein Award for Poetry, and is a member of the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters (1986).
Also coauthor of screenplay “Happy Death”, 1965; contributor to periodicals, including Evergreen Review and Litterair Paspoort.
Source: Contemporary Authors Online. The Gale Group, 1999.
0.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Gregory Corso was born 26 March 1930, in New York, NY. His career included working as a writer, manual laborer in New York City (1950-1951), and employee of the Los Angeles Examiner (Los Angeles, CA, 1951-1952), a merchant seaman on Norwegian vessels (1952-1953) and in the English department of the State University of New York at Buffalo (1965-1970).
Series I: Correspondence (1958-1960)
Series II: Manuscripts (1957-1980)
The collection was purchased from several different vendors.
Writings by the Author
- R. BrukenfeldThe Vestal Lady on Brattle, and Other Poems, (Cambridge, MA), 1955.
- “This Hung-Up Age” (play) produced at Harvard University, 1955.
- Bomb (poem; broadside), [San Francisco], 1958.
- introduction by Allen Ginsberg, Gasoline (poems), City Lights, 1958, new edition, 1992.
- (With Henk Marsman) A Pulp Magazine for the Dead Generation: Poems, Dead Language, 1959.
- (With William S. Burroughs, Brion Gysin, and Sinclair Beiles) Minutes to Go, Two Cities Editions (Paris), 1960.
- Happy Birthday of Death (poems), New Directions, 1960.
- (Editor with Walter Hollerer) Junge Amerikanische Lyrik (anthology), Carl Hansen Verlag, 1961.
- The American Express (novel), Olympia Press, 1961.
- (With Anselm Hollo and Tom Raworth) The Minicab War, Matrix Press, 1961.
- Find It So Hard to Write the How Why & What..., Paterson Society, 1961.
- Long Live Man (poems), New Directions, 1962.
- Selected Poems, Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1962.
- (With Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Allen Ginsberg) Penguin Modern Poets 5,Penguin, 1963.
- The Mutation of the Spirit: A Shuffle Poem, Death Press, 1964.
- There Is Yet Time to Run Back through Life and Expiate All That's Been Sadly Done (poems), New Directions, 1965.
- (Contributor) Paris Leary and Robert Kelly, editors, A Controversy of Poets, Doubleday Anchor, 1965.
- The Geometric Poem: A Long Experimental Poem, Composite of Many Lines and Angles Selective, [Milan, Italy], 1966.
- (Contributor) Bob Booker and George Foster, editors, Pardon Me, Sir, But Is My Eye Hurting Your Elbow? (screenplays), Bernard Geis, 1967.
- 10 Times a Poem: Collected at Random From 2 Suitcases Filled With Poems—the Gathering of 5 Years, Poets Press, 1967.
- Elegiac Feelings American, New Directions, 1970.
- Gregory Corso, Phoenix Book Shop, 1971.
- Egyptian Cross, Phoenix Book Shop, 1971.
- The Night Last Night Was at Its Nightest..., Phoenix Book Shop, 1972.
- Earth Egg, Unmuzzled Ox, 1974.
- Way Out: A Poem in Discord (play), Bardo Matrix (Kathmandu, Nepal), 1974.
- The Japanese Notebook Ox, Unmuzzled Ox, 1974.
- Collected Plays, City Lights, 1980.
- edited by Michael Andre, Writings from Ox, Unmuzzled Ox, 1981.
- Herald of the Autochthonic Spirit, New Directions, 1981.
- Mindfield: New and Selected Poems, Thunder's Mouth, 1989.
- American literature Subject Source: Fast
- American poetry Subject Source: Fast
- Beat generation Subject Source: Fast
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Essays Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Literature Subject Source: Fast
- New York (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poems Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poetry Subject Source: Fast
- Poets Subject Source: Fast
- Twentieth century. Subject Source: Fast
- manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gregory Corso Papers
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2000 February
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US