Skip to main content

Connecticut Training School for Nurses Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1996-0021

Scope and Content

The Connecticut Training School (CTS) for Nurses opened in 1873 and closed in 1926. The Connecticut Training School for Nurses Alumnae Association was formed in January 1891 and was dissolved in 1964. The records document the activities associated with the founding of the school's graduates and include minutes of the school as well as the alumnae association's meetings (1891-1964), annual reports, and financial records. An addition to the collection includes correspondence and notes from individuals associated with the establishment of CTS.

Dates

  • 1891-1964

Access

The collection is open and available for research.

Restrictions on Use

Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.

History

Established in 1873, the Connecticut Training School for Nurses (CTS) offered the first training program for nurses in the state. Many of the early leaders of Connecticut's nursing profession studied there before the school closed in 1926.

Georgeanna Woolsey (b. 1833) married Dr. Frank (Francis) Bacon, professor of surgery at Yale University in 1866. Both Dr. and Mrs. Bacon played a leading part in the founding and early formative years of the Connecticut Training School.

Extent

1.25 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Connecticut Training School (CTS) for Nurses opened in 1873 and closed in 1926. The Connecticut Training School for Nurses Alumnae Association was formed in January 1891 and was dissolved in 1964. An addition to the collection includes correspondence and notes from individuals associated with the establishment of CTS.

Acquisition Information

The materials were donated in 1996 by Dr. Eleanor Hermann.
Title
Connecticut Training School for Nurses Records
Status
Published
Author
Archives & Special Collections staff
Date
2005 October
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository

Contact:
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US