Jane Dyer Papers
Scope and Content
The collection contains original art, research material, photographs, sketches, dummies, manuscripts, galleys, proofs, correspondence, publicity material, and reviews from 1986-2000 (bulk, 1989-1997). There are several oversized posterboards, that show the process of how the illustrator progressed from research material to sketches to the finished illustration, that were used at book fairs, schools, and presentations.
- undated, 1986-2000
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
Jane Dyer has managed to turn her childhood love of children's books into a flourishing career as an author and illustrator. Growing up, she was fascinated by the books her mother read to her, including the My Bookhouse series of the 1920s. Ms. Dyer loved to pore over the illustrations in the series, and cultivated her skills as an artist by studying them in great detail.
Convinced she wanted to be a kindergarten teacher while growing up; Jane Dyer did just that, teaching kindergarten for three years. During this period, parents of students, family and friends convinced her that she should pursue her artistic talents and love for children's literature. After showing her work in New York, Ms. Dyer began a career as an illustrator.
Since the publication of her first book, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, in 1984, Ms. Dyer has written or illustrated over seventy children's books.
29 Linear Feet : watercolor
Language of Materials
The collection contains materials pertaining to the development and creation of 14 books.
The Collection has been donated by Jane Dyer in multiple installments beginning in 1993.
- Animal Crackers, 1996. CLC D380
- Animal Crackers: bedtime, 1998. CLC A750
- Animal Crackers: nursery rhymes, 1998. CLC A871
- Blue Moon Soup by Goss, Gary, 1999. CLC C1833
- Girl in the Golden Bower by Yolen, Jane, 1994. CLC C1975
- If Anything Ever Goes Wrong at the Zoo by Hendrick, Mary Jean, 1993. CLC C906
- My Father by Collins, Judy, 1989. CLC C1800
- The Patchwork Lady by Whittington, Mary K., 1991. CLC C429
- Talking Like the Rain by Kennedy, X.J. and Dorothy, 1992. CLC D375
- Time for Bed by Fox, Mem, 1993. CLC D378
- When Mama Comes Home Tonight by Spinelli, Eileen, 1998. CLC D379
- Children's literature Subject Source: Fast
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Galley proofs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrations (layout features). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrators Subject Source: Fast
- Monographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Works of Art Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jane Dyer Papers
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2000 may
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description