Skip to main content

Edwin O. Smith High School Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1998-0294
The collection contains documentation of a mid-1960s addition to the school.

Dates

  • undated, 1956-1968

Access

The collection is open and available for research.

Restrictions on Use

Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.

Extent

39 Linear Feet

Abstract

In 1955, the Connecticut General Assembly authorized funding for the construction of a junior-senior high school in Mansfield, Connecticut, to be administered by the University of Connecticut. The school opened in the fall of 1958 and remained a division of the UConn School of Education until the summer of 1987.

History

In 1955, the Connecticut General Assembly authorized funding for the construction of a junior-senior high school in Mansfield, Connecticut, to be administered by the University of Connecticut. The $1.2 million allocation was authorized in recognition of the need to training teachers for the schools of Connecticut; to meet the needs for secondary education in the Town of Mansfield resulting from the problem created by the absence of any industrial wealth and by the presence of two large state institutions (UConn and the Mansfield Training School); and to assist the University in attracting and retaining high quality teaching and research staff. Before the school opened the training of teachers of Home Economics and Vocational Agriculture was also added to the charge. The school opened in the fall of 1958 as a division of the School of Education.

The University School was quickly named for Edwin Oscar Smith, acting president of the University (1908) and remained a division of the UConn School of Education until the summer of 1987. On July 1, 1987, the University conveyed the property and buildings of the school to the Town of Mansfield.

Arrangement

Series I: Blueprints (undated, 1956-1963)

Series II: Administrative Records and Correspondence (undated, 1956-1968)

Acquisition Information

The Blueprints were donated by Harry Danos, an architect associated with the construction of the building. The provenance of the remaining materials is unknown.

Related Material

Archives & Special Collections has a substantial collection of materials pertaining to the University, its history, administration, faculty, staff and students. For detailed information on these collections please contact the curator or ask at the Reading Room desk.
Title
Edwin O. Smith High School Records
Subtitle
An Inventory
Status
published
Author
Archives & Special Collections Staff.
Date
May 2006
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository

Contact:
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US