Faculty Club Records
Scope and Content
The collection includes minutes, membership records, correspondence, financial records and similar materials documenting the activities of the organization and its members from 1915-1968.
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
The Faculty Club of the Connecticut Agricultural College was founded in 1915. It was established as a social organization open to "all male members of the several college staffs whose names appear in the catalog." The chairman of the preliminary meeting was President Charl and W.L. Seate, Jr. was elected Club president at the organizational meeting on 13 October 1915. The president and secretary-treasurer were to be elected annually. The members of the Faculty Club met the second Tuesday of each academic year, with additional meetings to be called at the President's discretion. In 1929, the Club meetings increased to once a month.
The late 1950s and the 1960s were a period of crisis for the organization. Concerns over housing for the Club included comments on the needs of women faculty. By 1961, there were three faculty organizations on campus: the recently re-named Men's Faculty Club (formerly the Faculty Club), the Women's Faculty Club, and the University Club. The latter was open to both men and women.
The Men's Faculty Club resumed its old name in 1964-1965 as the Women's Club was disbanded, or was absorbed into the University Club. It was suggested that the Men's Faculty Club disband in the early 1960s, but the motion was defeated. The Club continued to exist into the 1968-1969 academic year, although for how long is unclear. The exact date of the Club's dissolution is uncertain as the Club records are incomplete.
[This history was based on the official minutes of the Club and from a letter to University Archives by Mr. Ahern in September 1970.]
2.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Faculty Club of the Connecticut Agricultural College was founded in 1915. It was established as a social organization open to "all male members of the several college staffs whose names appear in the catalog."
Series I: Administrative Records (1915-1967)
Series II: Committee Records (1924-1968)
The records of the organization for 1962-1963 were in Mr. Ahern's possession for some time, previous years had been in the possession of Mr. George Van Bibber, President from 1961 to 1962, before he forwarded them on to Mr. Ahern at an unknown date.
The records of the Faculty Club were transferred to Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center in 1970 by Thomas E. Ahern.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College teachers Subject Source: Fast
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Societies Subject Source: Fast
- Universities and colleges Subject Source: Fast
- bylaws (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Connecticut, Faculty Club Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2004 August
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note