Greater Hartford Labor Council, AFL-CIO Records
Scope and Content
The collection includes official minutes, correspondence, legal and financial documents, publications, photographs and related ephemera pertaining to the Greater Hartford Labor Council and its predecessor organizations. The minutes for the GHLC are incomplete although the years 1968 through 1978 are more comprehensively documented. Within the files of the President and Recording Secretary of the GHLC are materials pertaining to community service and public education.
Of particular interest is the relationship of the GHIUC-CIO with the State Council and the allegations of communist sympathies within the labor movement.
- undated, 1947-1982
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
The Greater Hartford Labor Council (GHLC) was formed in 1957. The Hartford Central Labor Union (circa 1890s-October 1957) was the predecessor. The Greater Hartford Industrial Union Council (circa 1938-1957) was the CIO predecessor. The first regular monthly meeting of the GHLC was held on 2 October 1957. Peter J. Rossano served as the first president of the Council.
All local unions belonging to an international affiliated to the AFL-CIO or affiliated to the AFL-CIO directly are able to join the central labor body in their region upon payment of dues.
17 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Greater Hartford Labor Council (GHLC) was formed in 1957. All local unions belonging to an international affiliated to the AFL-CIO or affiliated to the AFL-CIO directly are able to join the central labor body in their region upon payment of dues.
Series I: Hartford Central Labor Union—AFL (1949-1957). Contains financial records, including one ledger book of receipts and disbursements for 1955-1957.
Series II: Greater Hartford Industrial Union—CIO (undated, 1947-1957)is arranged into four subseries: Constitutions and Minutes, Correspondence and Subject Files, Financial Records, Connecticut State Industrial Union Council—CIO. Contains a copy of the GHIUC constitution and official minutes of meetings, incoming and outgoing correspondence, memoranda, reports, publications, auditor's and other financial reports.
Series III: Administrative Policy and Finance (undated, 1956-1981) Arranged into four subseries: By-Laws and Constitutions, Committee On Political Education (COPE), Newsclippings and Financial Records. Contains administrative records of the GHLC, minutes, financial records and clippings pertaining to labor activity in Connecticut.
Series IV: Minutes (undated, 1957-1982) pertain to monthly Executive Board and Delegate meetings and includes agendas, roll sheet, associated correspondence, committee reports, financial reports, official officer election materials, dues and membership lists, strike and boycott information, information about donations of funds and services, materials about state and municipal political endorsements and printed materials.
Series V: General Administration (undated, 1957-1982) consist of the files of the President and Recording Secretary of the GHLC. Includes correspondence (AFL-CIO International and local affiliates), delegates credential forms, resolutions, financial materials, requests for moral and monetary support for boycotts and strikes, information about state and local political candidates prepared by the Committee on Political Education (COPE), flyers and brochures for labor educational opportunities, requests and thank yous letters for charity donations, and social event correspondence. Community service files include material from the Community Renewal Team, the Greater Hartford Process, and the Human Resources Development Institute.
Series VI: Connecticut State Labor Council (undated, 1957-1982) has two subseries: Minutes and Correspondence and Subject Files. Consists of records received by the GHLC as an affiliate of the CSLC including: correspondence, reports, press releases, convention and financial materials.
Series VII: Printed Materials, Photographs and Memorabilia (undated, circa 1950-1978) is divided into three subseries: Printed Materials, Photographs and Memorabilia. The series includes newsletters and educational materials, photographs, membership cards, ribbons, audiotapes, and posters.
Series VIII: Royal Industrial Union (undated, 1946-1977) was collected by William E. Kuehnel, Chairman of the Retired Workers Chapter, Royal Industrial Union, Local 937, the series contains constitution, by-laws, correspondence, financial records, and newsletters.
Series IX: Greater Hartford Building and Construction Trades Council (undated, 1975-1982) contains records collected by William E. Kuehnel as Acting Secretary of the GHBCTC and includes minutes, correspondence, subject files, newsclippings and press releases.
The last two series are not part of Kuehnel's files as Recording Secretary of the GHLC but provide information of related interest to the activities of the GHLC.
The materials were deposited in the Connecticut Labor Archives (now part of Archives & Special Collections, Thomas J. Dodd Research Center) on 26 July 1983, through action of the delegate meeting of the GHLC.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Automobile industry workers Subject Source: Fast
- Charitable uses, trusts, and foundations Subject Source: Fast
- Collective labor agreements Subject Source: Fast
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Constitutions Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Construction industry Subject Source: Fast
- Construction workers Subject Source: Fast
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education Subject Source: Fast
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hartford (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Industrial relations Subject Source: Fast
- Labor Subject Source: Fast
- Labor leaders Subject Source: Fast
- Labor policy Subject Source: Fast
- Labor unions Subject Source: Fast
- Law Subject Source: Fast
- Legislation Subject Source: Fast
- Political participation Subject Source: Fast
- Press releases Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Resolutions (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Social service Subject Source: Fast
- Strikes and lockouts Subject Source: Fast
- United States (nation) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- bylaws (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Greater Hartford Labor Council, AFL-CIO Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 1984 March
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US