International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Canel Lodge 700 Records
Scope and Content
The Canel Lodge records, arranged in three series and cover the years from 1958-1981 and 2008, include minutes, employee, arbitration and administrative records.
Clippings in the scrapbook were taped to the pages in general chronological order. Most of the clippings were dated and had the newspaper source identified. Some clippings were not identified in any way. The tape had dried and fallen off. All clippings were loose and many had been mixed up. It was not in usable condition. The first three pages, with glued clippings, have been left intact. Clippings from the rest of the pages were removed of they had not already fallen off. The clippings were then arranged in chronological order and placed in acid free folders for preservation purposes and to facilitate use.
- undated, 1958 - 1981, 2008
The collection is open and available for research with the exception of Series II and Series III individual grievance materials.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Canel Lodge 700 was founded on 20 April 1959. The lodge, located in Middletown, Connecticut, was organized by machinists at the Canel Atomic Testing Lab. In 1959, the local gained collective bargaining from the Canel Lab. Pratt and Whitney took over the plant about 1965. Pratt and Whitney continued union recognition after their takeover.
11 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW), Canel Lodge 700 was founded on 20 April 1959. The lodge, located in Middletown, Connecticut, was organized by machinists at the Canel Atomic Testing Lab. In 1959, the local gained collective bargaining recognition from the Canel Lab. Pratt and Whitney took over the plant circa 1965. Pratt and Whitney continued union recognition after the takeover.
Series I: Administrative Files, (undated, circa 1961-1981, 2008) consist of minutes of the Executive Board and Delegates meeting from 1971-1975, union listings, employee service records, and flyers. The employee service records [RESTRICTED] are computer-printed listings of active employees, provided monthly by the company to the union as stipulated by the union contract. They are listed alphabetically by name of employee, by clock number, or by department number. The records provide important data on the production workforce, including race, sex, employment and promotion dates, pay grades, etc. The more recent years note union membership. Archives staff took one month (December) sample per year. The items from 2008 consist of "Machinists for Obama" election ephemera.
Series II: Arbitration Cases, (1958-1977) is arranged in two subseries, Lodge 700 and Other Lodges. Lodge 700 records include general grievance material arranged alphabetically by type, and specific grievances arranged alphabetically by name [RESTRICTED].
Series III: National Labor Relations Board Cases, (1958-circa 1981) contain general administrative materials arranged alphabetically, as well as individual case records arranged by case number [RESTRICTED].
The materials were deposited in the Connecticut Labor Archives on 14 February 1984, by President Clifford Forster.
The following materials have been separated from the collection and cataloged:
Photocopies of general labor songs (one copy also remains in the collection) Dodd Call No.
Connecticut State Labor Council, Legislative Bulletins (Several copies)
Machinist Non-Partisan Political League, Action 1975-1977 (3 folders)
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Report from Headquarters 1975-1977 (3 folders)
United Auto Workers, Solidarity 1969 (2 issues)
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Aircraft industry Subject Source: Fast
- Aircraft industry workers Subject Source: Local sources
- Arbitration, Industrial Subject Source: Fast
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Employees Subject Source: Fast
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Grievance procedures Subject Source: Fast
- Holiday pay Subject Source: Fast
- Labor Subject Source: Fast
- Labor unions Subject Source: Fast
- Laboratories Subject Source: Fast
- Machinists Subject Source: Fast
- Middletown (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Nuclear energy Subject Source: Fast
- Overtime Subject Source: Fast
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Science Subject Source: Fast
- Severance pay Subject Source: Fast
- Wages Subject Source: Fast
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Canel Lodge 700 Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 1984 April
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US