University of Connecticut Photograph Collection [photographic prints]
Scope and Content Note
Approximately 857,000 photographic prints, mounted and unmounted, document the University of Connecticut.
The collection is open and available for research.
The University of Connecticut originally came into being as a farm school approved by the General Assembly of the State on April 21, 1881. It was to be called the Storrs Agricultural School, after Augustus and Charles Storrs, who donated 170 acres of land and five thousand dollars for its establishment. The school officially opened on October 7, 1881, with a class of twelve men. In 1893, women were officially admitted to the school, although uunofficial attendance began in 1891. As the institutions grew, the name changed to reflect its maturation: Storrs Agricultural College (1893), Connecticut Agricultural College (1899), Connecticut State College (1933), and the University of Connecticut (1939).
266 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Glass negatives, nitrate negatives, w-negatives, prints dated from the Manter period were transferred from the University Center for Instructional Media and Technology photography lab.
- College buildings Subject Source: Fast
- College facilities Subject Source: Fast
- College presidents Subject Source: Fast
- College sports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College students Subject Source: Fast
- College teachers Subject Source: Fast
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Connecticut Photograph Collection [photographic prints]
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US