University of Connecticut Memorabilia Collection
Scope and Content
The collection contains ephemeral and artifactual materials created, collected, utilized, worn and/or associated primarily with members of the University community in conjunction with their experiences at or with the University of Connecticut. The collection is not intended to completely document activities at the institution since its establishment, but the materials do provide balance and depth to the understanding of community student life and college experiences when utilized in conjunction with the official University administrative records.
- Creation: undated, 1881-2018
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
In April 1881, the Connecticut General Assembly established the Storrs Agricultural School after accepting a gift of 170 acres of land, several frame buildings, and money from Charles and Augustus Storrs. The School opened on 28 September 1881, with twelve students in the first class. Before the turn of the century there were two name changes (Storrs Agricultural College, 1893; Connecticut Agricultural College, 1899). In 1933, two years after the institution celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, it became Connecticut State College, a name more in keeping with its steady advances and broadened mission. Six years later, in 1939, the General Assembly designated the institution the University of Connecticut, an acknowledgment of the institution's developing importance to the State in graduate and professional education, research and public service.
77.6 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains ephemeral and artifactual materials created, collected, utilized, worn and/or associated primarily with members of the University community in conjunction with their experiences at or with the University of Connecticut.
The majority of the collection is arranged topically, although significant sections have been further divided by format.
Series I: Subject Files (undated, 1889-) include alphabetical and chronological files containing information on activities, events, organization, programs, policies, and other functions of University life. Similar materials may be found in different files. For example, dance programs can be found under this heading in this series but there are also dance programs in the fraternity/sorority files for the dances sponsored by these organizations. Memorabilia for the Greek organizations is dispersed in a similar fashion--materials may be found in Subject files as well as in Artifacts (paddles, jewelry, etc.) and Clothing.
Series II: Student Materials (undated, 1881-) includes items (limited in number) pertaining to an individual's association with the institution. Class affiliation is included, when known, parenthetically.
Series III: Pins, Buttons and Patches (undated, 1918-) contains official and unofficial pins and buttons produced by and associated with the institution and its divisions and departments.
Series IV: Scrapbooks (undated, 1884-) have been organized into their own collection, regardless of provenance. A list of contributing individuals or entities in included in this finding aid.
Series V: Games and Toys (undated, 1989-1992) contains University of Connecticut related games and toys marketed or distributed by organizations.
Series VI: Clothing (undated, ca. 1895-2006) includes beanies, armbands, sweaters, jackets and similar items worn by students.
Series VII: Jewelry (undated, ca. 1928-1955) includes momentos of college life with a direct UConn association.
Series VIII: Banners and Flags (undated, 1918-1920s, 1943, 2003, 2006) includes a class banner and several associated with organizations or activities.
Series IX: Artifacts (undated, 1891- ) contains objects used to commemorate events, activities or individuals, including commencement, class designation, reunions, and recent University marketing endeavors.
Series X: Commencement materials (1884- ) contains invitations, announcements, tickets and similar materials (not diplomas, see Series IX) associated with commencement ceremonies at the University. The Commencement Programs have been cataloged and are housed separately.
Series XI: 125th Anniversary (2006-2007) contains invitations, announcements, and a scrapbook associated with the year long celebration of the University's 125th anniversary. Cookie (with 125th logo) and fortune cookies were not retained. Materials separated from this series and housed elsewhere include UConn 125 Years, University of Connecticut 1881-2006 (C7630), two CDs, DVD, Founder's Day Tea photographs, Husky Dog design poster, giant crossword.
Items in the collection may have orginally been offered to, held by or stored in other divisions of the University before final transfer to the University Archives.
Materials in the collection have been donated or transferred to, or otherwise acquired by, Archives & Special Collections over time. Donations and acquisitions containing more than a folder of personal materials have been maintained as separate, named collections, although ephemera and artifacts have been integrated into the Memorabilia Collection. Consult with the University Archivist for specifics.
The following materials have been separated from the collection(s) and integrated into the larger University collection:
Random issues of the student newspaper; yearbooks; scrapbooks; commencement programs and invitations; periodicals produced by University departments, divisions or student groups; photographs; posters; media; and course bulletins.
Materials are added to this collection and the finding aid updated regularly.
- University of Connecticut Memorabilia Collection
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2006 July
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note