Albert E. Moss Collection
Scope and Content
This collection contains the professional work of Albert E. Moss. Included are his extensive field notes, films, and slides pertaining to his work in the field of forestry. The collection also includes the surveys and deeds of lands surrounding the University of Connecticut [Storrs] campus, and the transfers of ownership of the lands dating back to the mid-eighteenth century up to and including the mid-twentieth century. The collection does not include any information pertaining to his personal life. A significant portion of the survey work appears to have been conducted by Thomas B. Danielson>.
- Creation: undated, 1761-1978
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1910-1965
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
Albert E. Moss began his career at Connecticut Agricultural College as an instructor of Forestry in 1914. He became an assistant Professor of Forestry between 1914 and 1927. He eventually rose to the position of full professor of Forestry in 1928 and would hold that position until his retirement in 1943. He is known for his extensive field work on virgin forest tree identification and plantings, documenting logging practices and the rising number of sawmills in the United States, stream and dam improvements, and the restocking of rivers with native fish. He worked in conjunction with the Department of Forestry and Wildlife Management to document government timber sales. Although his main focus was on New England forests, primarily Connecticut lands, his fieldwork took him as far as California. He is known at the University of Connecticut for his surveys and mapping of University land.
10 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Mr. Albert E. Moss was a faculty member at Connecticut Agricultural College (now the University of Connecticut) for twenty-nine years. He is best known for his work in the field of Forestry. Focus of the collection is survey work on the transfer of land to and from the University of Connecticut.
Series I: University of Connecticut Land Survey (1761-1958) Surveyors notes on University property lines and deed notes on lands bought and sold.
Series II: Field Notes (1911-1976) Moss and Danielson field notes on University land topography including water commission, sewer level surveys, river and land visibility studies, and survey notes on deeded lands.
Series III: Land Deeds, Leases, Maps and Surveys (1773-1976) Official deeds and unofficial deed notes on properties conveyed to and from the University and property owners, including surveys of properties deeded. Maps of properties bought and sold, town lines, and Connecticut Light and Power surveys of University substations.
Series IV: Visual materials (1920-1965) This portion of the collection has been inventoried but not processed. Includes films, plate negatives and photos of Forestry work done in the United States.
The collection was donated by Dr. Walter Wardell in March 1994.
Location of Copies or Alternate Formats
Portions of the collection have been digitized and digital reproductions of materials in this collection may also be found in the Archives & Special Collections digital repository
The materials listed in Series IV have been inventoried but not completely processed. Please contact the Curator for Multimedia Collection for specifics.
- Albert E. Moss Collection
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2004 March
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description