Marilyn Nelson Papers
Scope and Content
The collection contains correspondence from Nelson's MFA students at Vermont College> and from other poets, personal notebooks, photographs, manuscripts of poetry and translations and term papers written while Nelson was a student.
Personal diaries as indicated in the inventory are restricted and closed for research until the year 2046 as per Marilyn Nelson.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
Marilyn Nelson was born 26 April 1946 to Johnnie E. Nelson and Melvin Nelson, Sr. She is a graduate of Hiram Johnson High School and the University of California at Davis, and has a Master's degree from the University of Pennsylvania. She is the author of 6 books of poetry, 2 children's collections and a few chapter books. Her book Carver: A life in Poems has been awarded the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award for excellence in children's literature. The Homeplace was a finalist for the National Book Award and the Lenore Marshall Prize and won the 1998 Poet's Prize. Nelson has received a Guggenheim Fellowship and recently named Connecticut's Poet Laureate by the Connecticut Commission on the Arts. Marilyn Nelson has been teaching at the University of Connecticut since 1978.
4 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains the papers of Marilyn Nelson, author of several books of poetry and formercurrent Poet Laureate for the State of Connecticut.
Series I: Poetry Correspondence and Manuscripts (undated, 1964- 1992) contains term papers while Nelson was a student, manuscripts of poetry, poems written with childern, correspondence from theologian Mary Pellauer; poets Dave Smith and others, and translation of Thornvig Bjorvig poems.
Series II: Other Correspondence and Photographs (1986-1992) from MFA students at Vermont College and magazines as well as photographs.
The collection has been reordered and divided into two series. Photographs were removed from original folders and placed in a separate folder created for photographs. Publications were also removed for cataloging.
Professor Marilyn Nelson donated her collection in 1992.
Motley, Volume 2, Number 1, Winter 1964. Dodd Periodicals
Moving Out: Feminist Literary & Arts Journal, Volume 5, Number 1, 1975. Dodd Periodicals
Christianity and Crisis, Volume 44, No 13, August 13, 1984. Dodd Periodicals
Touchstone: Viterbo College, Vol. 25, 26, Spring 1974, 1975. Dodd Periodicals
The Pennsylvania Gazette, Vol. 69. No. 5, March, 1971. Dodd Periodicals
- African American poets Subject Source: Fast
- African Americans Subject Source: Fast
- American poetry Subject Source: Fast
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poems Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poets Subject Source: Fast
- Poets laureate Subject Source: Fast
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Twentieth century. Subject Source: Fast
- United States (nation) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Women poets Subject Source: Fast
- Marilyn Nelson Papers
- Under Revision
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2002 August
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description