New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Bridge Capacity Lists Collection
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of two lists:
1) "Record of Computations of Capacity of Bridges," which contains 190 tables representing trackage in the route owned by the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad in southern New England. Each table provides bridge number, built date, type, length, number of spans, number of tracks and relative capacities. Includes a map, symbols key and location index. Although the list is undated it is thought to have been created very soon before the company was taken over by Penn Central.
2) Photocopy of a 49 page "List of Undergrade and Overgrade Bridge in Connecticut," submitted by the Office of the Chief Engineer, Maintenance of Way, of the Penn Central Company, of each bridge along the right of way with various details about the bridge including type, number of tracks, number and length of span, vertical distance, year it was built, posted load limit, capacity calculations and public utility commission jurisdiction.
- Creation: undated, 1974
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
The New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad was formed in 1872 through the merger of the Hartford & New Haven Railroad and the New York & New Haven Railroad, and controlled almost all railroad traffic in southern New England until January 1, 1969, when the company was taken over by Penn Central. The railroad's region included all of Connecticut and Rhode Island, southern Massachusetts including Cape Cod, eastern New York State, and New York City.
1.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Two lists of details of bridges along the route of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad.
Provenance and Acquisition
This collection presumably came to the University of Connecticut Libraries at the same time that it received the records of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad, in the early 1990s.
Existence and Location of Copies
The lists have been digitized and are available in the Archives & Special Collections digital repository.
General Physical Description note
1.5 linear feet.
- New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Bridge Capacity List Collection
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2015 January
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description