Dennis Nolan Papers
Scope and Content
The collection contains materials relating to twenty-two books. Mr. Nolan has either written, illustrated or contributed to the design of all of the books represented in the collection. Materials include manuscripts, book plans, revisions, drafts, sketches, some original drawings, dummies, proofs, paste ups, and production proofs (folded and gathered). There is very little finished artwork in the collection (identified as illustrations rather than sketches). The only book that came with the collection is Max's Box, which has been removed and catalogued.
Several books changed titles during the creation process. These materials are labeled according to the working title at the time of creation but are filed under the book's final title.
“Castle” The Castle Builder
“It's a Big Napping World” No Nap for Benjamin Badger
“Krysia's First Christmas in America” An Ellis Island Christmas
“Lost in Time” Dinosaur Dream
“No Nap for Me” No Nap for Benjamin Badger
“When the Mockingbird Sings” Mockingbird Morning
- circa 1976-1994
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
Dennis Nolan was born 19 October 1945, in San Francisco, CA, the son of Arthur Thomas (an opera singer) and Helen (Fortier) Nolan. He attended College of San Mateo (1963-1965), and San Jose State College (now University, B.A., 1967, M.A., 1968). Nolan began his career as a graphic artist at the San Mateo County Library (Belmont, CA, 1970-1977) and then moved on as an art instructor at Canada Junior College (Redwood City, CA, 1979-1986), San Jose State University (1983-1986) and at the College of San Mateo (1982-1986). Since 1986, Nolan has been the coordinator of illustration in the Hartford Art School in addition to illustrating many children's books. His work has received the following awards:
The Joy of Chickens,
Outstanding Science Book Award, National Science Teachers Association, 1981.
Step into the Night,
Outstanding Science Book Award, National Science Teachers Association, 1987
The Castle Builder,
Pick of the List, American Booksellers, 1987.
Top Twelve Books, 1987.
Christian Science Monitor, 1987.
Prix de Zephyr, French Librarian Award, 1988.
Step into the Night,
Parents Choice Magazine Top 15 Books, 1988.
Commonwealth Club of California award, 1988.
Legend of the White Doe,
Notable Social Studies Books selection, 1988.
Dinosaur Dream. Monster Bubbles: A Counting Book,
Golden Kite Picture Book Honor, 1990.
Junior Literary Guild selection.
10.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Children's book author and illustrator. Since 1986, Nolan has been the coordinator of illustration in the Hartford Art School.
The collection was donated by Mr. Nolan in 1994.
- Artists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature Subject Source: Fast
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Galley proofs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrated children's books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrations (layout features). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrators Subject Source: Fast
- Monographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Works of Art Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dennis Nolan Papers
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2000 November
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description