Alice Notley Papers
Scope and Content
The collection consists primarily of correspondence and collages. Correspondents include Robert Creeley, Anselm Hollo, Sal Salasin, Ron Padgett and Kate Ferrell whose work was published in the Scarlet Magazine. Drafts of the first five issues of the journal are included in the collection. Two photographs (Charles Olson in his casket and Olson's typewriter) are located in Series I.
One of the more significant documents in the collection is Notley's long, personal narrative poem “The Descent of Alette” (1992) which was published in The Scarlet Cabinet.
Notley created many elaborate collages, which are included in the collection, although undated.
This collection was originally included in the Ted Berrigan Papers. The collections were separated in 1997 as a result of later additions of Notley materials.
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
Alice Notley, born in Bisbee, Arizona, in 1945, is a recognized American poet, author, and editor. Among the numerous collections of verse that she has published are Incidentals in the Day World (Angel Hair Books, 1973), When I Was Alive, (Vehicle Edition, 1980), Waltzing Matilda, (Kulchur Foundation, 1981), Margaret and Dusty (Coffee House Press, 1985), and How Spring Comes (Toothpaste Press, 1981). In addition to her poetry, Notley wrote a short autobiography entitled Tell Me Again (Am Here Books, 1982). Editor of the Scarlet Magazine, Notley was married to Ted Berrigan (1934-1983), who is also a poet.
2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Alice Notley, born in 1945, is an American poet, author, and editor.
Series I: Business Papers (1970-1992) consists of correspondence, notecards, draft issues of Scarlet nos. 1-5, and related poetry materials.
Series II: Writings (1992) consists of the narrative poem “The Descent of Alette”.
Series III: Collages (undated) consists of undated collages and cartoons.
Unknown provenance. Possible purchase.
- American poetry Subject Source: Fast
- Authors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Drafts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Editors Subject Source: Fast
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poetry Subject Source: Fast
- Poets Subject Source: Fast
- Poets, American Subject Source: Fast
- Publishers and publishing Subject Source: Fast
- Twentieth century. Subject Source: Fast
- United States (nation) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Women poets Subject Source: Fast
- Works of Art Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Alice Notley Papers
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 1997 July
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US