University of Connecticut, School of Pharmacy Records
Scope and Content
The collection contains random administrative records, reports, papers and speeches as well as an extensive collection of clippings (scrapbooks) documenting the establishment, activities, programs and individuals associated with the University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy and its predecessor, the Connecticut College of Pharmacy.
- undated, 1925-1969
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
The Connecticut College of Pharmacy was established in 1925 and located in New Haven, Connecticut. The first Dean of the College was Dr. Gustavus Eliot (1925-1928) who was followed by Dr. Henry S. Johnson (acting 1928-1930, 1930-1947). Under Dr. Johnson, the course in pharmacy was extended from two to three years (1927) and to four years in 1932 (B.S. degree). 1935 Connecticut College of Pharmacy was elected to membership in the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. In 1941, the Connecticut General Assembly incorporated the College as a School of the University of Connecticut. Beginning in 1942 diplomas were awarded in Storrs rather than in independent ceremonies at Sprague Hall (Yale University) as had been the practice to date. Dr. Harold Hewitt was appointed Dean in 1947, a position he held until his retirement in 1969. In 1951, the School moved to the Storrs Campus of the University. Subsequent Deans include Dr. Arthur E. Schwarting (1971-1981), Dr. Karl A. Nieforth (1982-1993), Dr. Michael Gerald (1993-2001), Dr. Robert McCarthy (interim 2001-2002, 2002-2013), Dr. James R. Halpert (2014- ).
In May 2001, the School of pharmacy broke ground for a new $61 million facility on the Storrs Campus. Construction began on the facility in 2002 and the building is schedule to open in Summer 2005. That same year, the University awarded its first Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degrees.
Additional information on the School, its programs and faculty is available from the School of Pharmacy's webpage or in The road to excellence : the University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy, 1925-2000 edited by Karl A. Nieforth.
9.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Connecticut College of Pharmacy was established in 1925 in New Haven, Connecticut. In 1941, the Connecticut General Assembly enacted legislation to incorporate the College as part of the University of Connecticut. The collection contains an extensive collection of clippings (scrapbooks) concerning the program and its faculty, students and graduates in addition to historical papers, documents and reports about pharmacy and the program at the University.
Series I: Subject Files (undated, 1925- present)
Series II: Scrapbooks (1925-1969)
The materials in the collection were collected by Archives & Special Collections staff, transferred by the School of Pharmacy over time or donated to Archives & Special Collections by alumni.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Education, Higher Subject Source: Fast
- Fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Histories Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Obituaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pharmacy colleges Subject Source: Fast
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Speeches (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- bylaws (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Connecticut, School of Pharmacy Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2004 October
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description