University of Connecticut, Institute of Urban Research Records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains administrative records, reports and documents associated with research conducted on the Constitutional Convention of 1965, feasibility of government and related research the Institute conducted on behalf of others.
- undated, 1960s-1970s
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
In April 1881, the Connecticut General Assembly established the Storrs Agricultural School after accepting a gift of 170 acres of land, several frame buildings, and money from Charles and Augustus Storrs. The School opened on 28 September 1881, with twelve students in the first class. Before the turn of the century there were two name changes (Storrs Agricultural College 1893, Connecticut Agricultural College 1899). In 1933, two years after the institution celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, it became Connecticut State College, a name more in keeping with its steady advances and broadened mission. Six years later, in 1939, the General Assembly designated the institution the University of Connecticut, an acknowledgment of the institution's developing importance to the State in graduate and professional education, research and public service.
The University of Connecticut is recognized as the state's flagship institution of higher learning. Since its establishment, the University has grown to include 13 Schools and Colleges at its main campus in Storrs, separate Schools of Law and Social Work in Hartford, five regional campuses throughout the state and Schools of Medicine and Dentistry at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.
UConn is a Land Grant and Sea Grant College and a Space Grant Consortium institution. The University spans 4,104 acres at its main campus and five regional campuses, and an additional 162 acres at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.
Designated a Carnegie Foundation Research University-Extensive, UConn has more than 70 focused research centers where faculty, graduate students and undergraduates explore everything from improving human health to enhancing public education and protecting the country’s natural resources.
President Babbidge recommended that the Board authorize the establishment of an interdisciplinary Institute of Urban Research at the meeting of the Board of Trustees on May 15, 1963. The Institute would bring to focus the University's considerable resources and coordinate them for more effective use. The Institute would conduct contracted research for organizations and agencies as requested.
Morton Tenzer appointed acting Director, Institute of Urban Research by the BOT effective 4/15/1970; his appointment was made permanent several years later.
3.9 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains reports, administrative records and publications of the Institute of Urban Research.
Provenance and Acquisition
- University of Connecticut, Institute of Urban Research Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2011 December
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description