Quinebaug Pomona Grange No. 2 Collection
Scope and Content
The collection consists of mimeograph copies of seventeen lectures presented by the subordinate Granges of the Quinebaug Pomona Grange No.2 on "The History of Connecticut" in 1952. The lectures include "The Story of Cotton Thread" (Obwetuck Grange), "The Cloth Industry in Connecticut" (Plainfield Grange, "Famous Connecticut Inventors" (Little River Grange), "Historical Churches in Connecticut" (Brooklyn Grange), "Prominent Connecticut Governors" (Ekonk Grange), "Famous Men in early Connecticut History" (Putnam Grange), "Indian Trails in Connecticut" (Senexet Grange), "Connecticut Agriculture from the Days of the 'Yankee Farmer' to the Present" (Mansfield Grange), "Town Meetings" (Echo Grange), "Connecticut Highways and By-Ways" (Wolf Den Grange), "Historical Connecticut Homes" (Quinnatisset Grange), "Education of Yesteryear in Connecticut" (Canterbury Grange), "Education of Today in Connecticut" (Highland Grange), "Famous Women of Connecticut" (Shetucket Grange), "Women's Fashions in Connecticut" (Killingly Grange), "Connecticut, The Arsenal of the Nation" (Ashford Grange), and "Connecticut Park and Forest Commission" (Natchaug Grange). The collection of lectures was distributed by Mina M. Baxter, Pomona Lecturer of the Quinebaug Pomona Grange No.2.
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
On 4 December 1867, in a small Washington, D.C. building that housed the office of the Department of Agriculture, the Order of Patrons of Husbandry, more commonly known as the Grange, was born. A small group of seven men planned an inclusive Fraternal organization that "would bring the farmers of the country together in a fraternity which would bind them as closely as the Masonic fraternity binds its bands..for the mutual benefit and interests of the men who till the soil" [p. 5]. The Seven Founders of the Order of the Patrons of Husbandry were Oliver H. Kelley, William Saunders, Aaron B. Grosh, William M. Ireland, John R. Thompson, Francis McDowell, and John Trimble (assisted by Caroline Hall). It was formed in the years following the American Civil War to unite private citizens in improving the economic and social position of the nation's farm population.
The Connecticut State Grange was formed in April 1875 when several subordinate granges met in Danbury. The Quinebaug Pomona Grange No.2 was organized on 6 June 1887 at the Town House in Pomfret, CT, with a list of 107 charter members [p. 621]. In 1952, the Quinebaug Pomona Grange No.2 and its subordinate granges participated in a State Grange lecture series on "The History of Connecticut."
Information about the Connecticut State Grange is available on their website.
Excerpts from The Connecticut Granges, 1900. Dodd C4378.
Historical information about the National Grange based on National Grange History.
0.1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
In 1952 the Connecticut State Grange sponsored a year long lecture series in the Granges across the state of Connecticut. This collection contains mimeograph copies of the lectures presented by the subordinate Granges of Quinebaug Pomona No. 2.
The collection is organized and arranged as received.
The lectures were sent to Lida Skilton Ives, the mother-in-law of Dr. Jack Stephens who in turn donated them to Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Center.
The collection was donated by Dr. Jack Stephens in December 2003.
- Agriculture Subject Source: Fast
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manners and customs Subject Source: Fast
- Mimeograph copies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pomfret (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Societies Subject Source: Fast
- Quinebaug Pomona Grange No. 2 Collection
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2004 January
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US