Skip to main content

Rudberg (Bernard L.) Research Collection of the Central New England Railway

 Collection
Identifier: 2008-0043

Scope and Content

The collection consists of tour guidebooks, each with over 200 pages, compiled by Bernard L. Rudberg consisting of photocopies of photographs, maps, correspondence, and documents related to the history of the Central New England Railway, which ran from Maybrook, New York, to Hartford, Connecticut, in the period between 1898 and 1927, at which point it was taken over by the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad. Mr. Rudberg creates the books for the participants of an annual guided bus tour he coordinates, in April or May of each year beginning in 2002, that follows portions of the old railway line, and provides information about the towns on the route, train wrecks that occurred, old carbarns, turntables and roundhouses, and such features as the Poughkeepsie River Bridge.

Predecessor railroad lines of the Central New England Railway included the Clove Branch Railroad, the Connecticut Western Railroad, the Dutchess & Columbia Railroad, the Dutchess County Railroad, the Hartford & Connecticut Western Railroad, the New York & Massachusetts Railroad, the New York & New England Railroad, the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut Railroad, the Philadelphia, Reading & New England Railroad, the Poughkeepsie & Connecticut Railroad, and the Poughkeepsie & Eastern Railroad.

Dates

  • 2002-2015

Access

The collection is open and available for research.

Restrictions on Use

Permission to publish from this Collection must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.

Biography

Bernard L. Rudberg is a resident of Wappinger Falls, New York, and author of Twenty-five Years on the ND&C : a History of the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut Railroad (Fleischmanns, N.Y. : Purple Mountain Press, 2002). He is the coordinator of an annual bus tour of the defunct railroad line of the Central New England Railway and its predecessor and successor railroad lines.

Extent

1 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection consists of tour guidebooks compiled by Bernard L. Rudberg of photocopies of photographs, maps, correspondence, and documents related to the history of the Central New England Railway, which ran from Maybrook, New York, to Hartford, Connecticut, in the period between 1898 and 1927, at which point it was taken over by the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad. Mr. Rudberg creates the books for the participants of an annual guided bus tour he coordinates, in April or May of each year beginning in 2002, that follows portions of the old railway line, and provides information about the towns on the route, train wrecks that occurred, old carbarns, turntables and roundhouses, and such features as the Poughkeepsie River Bridge.

Acquisition Information

Materials were donated by Mr. Bernard L. Rudberg between 2002 and 2015.

Related Material

Archives & Special Collections has a substantial collection of New England railroad history materials. For detailed information on these collections please contact the curator or ask at the reference desk.

Title
Rudberg (Bernard L.) Research Collection of the Central New England Railway
Status
Published
Author
Archives & Special Collections staff
Date
2008 April
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository

Contact:
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US
860-486-2524