Skip to main content

University of Connecticut, School of Nursing Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1998-0276

Scope and Contents

The collection contains faculty meeting minutes, project documentation, photographs, multimedia and ephemeral materials.

Dates

  • undated, 1938-2008

Access

The collection is open and available for research.

Restrictions on Use

Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.

History

As early as 1937, public health personnel in the state explored the possibility of organizing courses for public health nurses at Connecticut State College but, lacking funds, the project was shelved. In 1940, a committee of 18 members was formed and in 1941 presented a report entitled "A School of Nursing for Connecticut." The proposal envisaged a program for registered nurses leading to the Bachelor of Science degree and a curriculum which would include 33 to 36 credits in required general courses plus a major in Nursing Education, School Nursing/Health Teaching or Public Health Nursing. The newly created University of Connecticut (named changed in 1939) Administration decided that a School of Nursing that would provide basic preparation in nursing as well as curricula for registered nurses would meet the need expressed in the report.

Students were admitted to the new School of Nursing as of September, 1942, although the School did not yet have a dean nor any nursing faculty. The first Dean, Carolyn Ladd Widmer, was appointed in July, 1942, and arrived on campus in August. Thirteen students entered the program in the Fall of 1942, 11 freshman and 2 sophomore transfers; nine of these students continued on to graduation.

Deans of the School have included: Carolyn Widner (1942-1967, Eleanor Gill (1967-1979, Marlene Kramer (1979-1988), Beverly Koerner (1989-1999), Laura Dzurec (2000-2007), Ann Bavier (2007- ).

[Note: Excerpted from Heritage of Accomplishment.]

Extent

12.2 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Records of the University of Connecticut School of Nursing, established in 1942 and accredited since 1943. The collection contains faculty meeting minutes, project documentation, photographs, multimedia and ephemeral materials. Further information is available from the School's website.

Arrangement

Series I: Inventory, (undated, 1938-2008)

Acquisition Information

Materials in the collection have been transferred sporadically from the School to the University Archives since the late 1980s.

Related Material

Archives & Special Collections has a substantial collection of materials pertaining to nursing education, leadership and the University, its history, administration, faculty, staff and students. For detailed information on these collections please contact the curator or ask at the Reading Room desk.

General note

Published Works:

Missing Title

  1. Heritage of Accomplishment. The History of the University of Connecticut School of Nursing, 1942-1981, University of Connecticut, circa 1990.
Title
University of Connecticut, School of Nursing Records
Status
Published
Author
Archives & Special Collections staff
Date
2009 August
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository

Contact:
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US