Skip to main content

Storrs FamilyPhotograph Collection

Identifier: 2007-0005

Scope and Content

The collection consists of nine mounted images of structures and land associated with the Storrs family. The structures no longer exist and the property has been incorporated into the Storrs campus of the University of Connecticut>.


  • undated, 1949, 1967


The collection is open and available for research.

Restrictions on Use

Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.


In December of 1880, Charles and Augustus Storrs offered 170 acres of land with buildings and $5,000 in cash to the State of Connecticut to start an agricultural school. Both Augustus and his brother Charles were of farm stock, but ended up as successful Victorian-era businessmen. They were sixth-generation descendants of Samuel Storrs of Nottinghamshire, England, who emigrated to Barnstable, Massachusetts, in 1663. In 1698, Samuel Storrs moved to Mansfield, Connecticut, and established the family farm on land, much of which is now UConn's main campus is now located. Augustus continued to spend his summers in Mansfield, maintaining and supervising the family farm. He died there in 1892, still a neighbor of the school he helped found.

Augustus Storrs and his wife, Antoinette Charlotte Abbe had two daughters, Marie Antoinette Storrs and Harriet Fitch Storrs. Marie and her husband, Benjamin Eyre Valentine II, were the parents of five daughters: Antoinette, Ethel, Elizabeth, Marguerite and Hattie.

Biographical information on the Storrs brothers can be found in the UConn Advance "A Piece of UConn History" (2007) by Mark Roy. The genealogical information was provided by the donor.


0.25 Linear Feet

Language of Materials



The collection contains photographs of the property of Augustus Storrs in Mansfield, Connecticut that is now part of the Storrs campus of the University of Connecticut. Monographs associated with the photographs have been separated and catalogued.


Series I: Photographs (undated)

Series II: Ephemera (1949, 1967)

Custodial History

Materials originally part of the estate of Elizabeth Valentine Louden, (granddaughter of Augustus, Rhode Island) which was received by Theodore Dreier (grandson of Ethel Valentine), M.D. who transferred them to Bradford Lamb, a great-grandson of Antoinette Storrs Valentine.

Acquisition Information

Donated by Bradford Lamb in January 2007.

Separated Material

The following materials have been separated from the collection and cataloged:

Connecticut Agricultural College -- A History Dodd Reading Room

Present Mansfield ("Centre"). A Passing sketch of the Village Dodd C1376

Connecticut Historical Collections, containing a general collection of interesting facts, traditions, biographical sketches, anecdotes, etc. Dodd C5199/C8845

A General History of Connecticut Dodd A2128

The Code of 1650, being a compilation of the earliest laws and orders Dodd A684

The Storrs Family Dodd C3436

Storrs Family Photograph Collection
Archives & Special Collections staff
2007 January
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository

University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US