Storrs Tennis Association Records
Scope and Content
The collection consists of a small account book and minute book.
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
The Storrs Tennis Association presumably began prior to the adoption of a constitution in 1930, but no records exist prior to that date with the exception of the account book of the Treasurer with entries beginning in 1915. According to the 1930 constitution, the purpose of the association was to foster the game of tennis and provide its members, men and women, with the necessary courts and facilities for playing.
According to the brief minutes of the association, its membership was stable, although never large, and consisted primarily of faculty and staff of the University residing in Storrs. There was a brief period of inactivity between 1941 and 1943 attributed to the departure of all previous officers from campus and wartime activities.
The minutes have substantial gaps between 1943 and 1947 indicating increasing preoccupation with other activities and an inability to maintain sufficient membership to keep the association functioning. There is no indication of association activities after the last secretarial entry in April 1947 and the minutes indicate that the University had plans for the land on which the courts were located by the Spring of 1948.
0.1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Storrs Tennis Association was established to foster the game within the environs of Storrs, Connecticut, and was open to residents over the age of eighteen. The Association was in existence from circa 1915 through 1947.
The collection is arranged alphabetically.
The materials in the collection were donated by Mr. E.A. Perregaux in 1974.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sports Subject Source: Fast
- Storrs (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Tennis Subject Source: Fast
- Tennis courts Subject Source: Fast
- minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Storrs Tennis Association Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2004 August
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US