Nicholas J. Tomassetti Papers
Scope and Content
The collection documents Tomassetti's labor activities and involvement in the United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers Union (UE) as it relates to his career as a union organizer in Connecticut. Documents include correspondence, reports, administrative and legal records, strike and negotiation materials, directories, minutes, publications, scrapbooks, photographs and newspaper clippings.
- undated, 1916-1978
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
- Nicholas Joseph Tomassetti, 17 December inPueblo, Colorado
- Britain, Connecticut
- CIO Organizer for United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers Union (UE)
- Connecticut House of Representatives
- New Britain, Connecticut
4.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Nicholas J. Tomassetti was born 17 December 1914 in Pueblo, Colorado. He was a labor organizer and leader associated with the United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers Union as well as a Democratic representative to the Connecticut General Assembly. Mr. Tomassetti died 18 December 1978 in New Britain, Connecticut.
Series I: Local Union Files (1916-1978) contains the records of UE locals in Connecticut. Each files is organized around the local's relationship with a particular company. The files include correspondence, annual reports, contracts and agreements, union literature, employee lists and statistics, grievance records and strike and negotiation records. Photographs of the 1955 Landers, Frary & Clark Company strike are included. The files are arranged by local union number and by company.
Series II: Subject Files (undated, 1950-1976) contains publications, reports, notes and correspondence collection by Nicholas Tomassetti. The files concern local and national union issues. UE organizing drive records document attempts to establish UE locals in Connecticut. Political action files contain campaign materials from democratic candidates supported by the national UE organization or its locals. Tomassetti also kept monthly reports (1968-1976) in which he reported all of his union related activities.
Series III: GE-Westinghouse Coordinated Bargaining Committee Files (undated, 1951-1978) contains information from the national body of representatives from GE and Westinghouse UE locals that coordinated bargaining with these companies. Member directories, committee minutes, lists of job rates, publications, sub-committee material and an analysis of negotiated agreements with Westinghouse comprises the bulk of the series. Files are arranged alphabetically.
Series IV: Arbitration Files (1953-1975) contains briefs, transcripts and attachments collected by Tomassetti regarding UE local grievances. Publications, correspondence and memoranda are also included.
Series V: Printed Material (undated, 1940-1977) contains UE national and local publications, corporate publications, reports and union related newspaper clippings. Nicholas Tomassetti's scrapbooks (1940-1948, copied on to acid-free paper) contain newspaper clippings and advertisements related to his political career and union issues.
Series VI: Agreements (1950-1976) contains contracts between UE locals and Connecticut based companies. Also included are the UE national agreements with GE and Westinghouse. The series is arranged alphabetically by company name.
The collection was deposited in the Connecticut Labor Archives (Archives & Special Collections) in June 1984 by Mrs. Florence Tomassetti.
- Actions and defenses Subject Source: Fast
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Arbitration, Industrial Subject Source: Fast
- Collective labor agreements Subject Source: Fast
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Electric industries Subject Source: Fast
- Electric industry workers Subject Source: Fast
- Grievance procedures Subject Source: Fast
- Industrial relations Subject Source: Fast
- Labor Subject Source: Fast
- Labor unions Subject Source: Fast
- Labor unions--Officials and employees Subject Source: Fast
- Labor unions-Organizing Subject Source: Fast
- New Britain (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Political participation Subject Source: Fast
- Political parties Subject Source: Fast
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Strikes and lockouts Subject Source: Fast
- bylaws (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Nicholas J. Tomassetti Papers
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 1985 January
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US