University of Connecticut, School of Law Records
Scope and Content
Collection contains administrative records and publications associated with the School's reaccrediation by the American Bar Association.
- undated, 1973-1983
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
In 1943, the University of Connecticut absorbed the Hartford Colleges of Law (founded 1921) and Insurance establishing the University of Connecticut School of Law and the College of Insurance. Laurence J. Ackerman was appointed acting Dean of the School of Law in the same year and would serve in an acting capacity until 1946 and the appointment of Bert E. Hopkins. The School of Law began enrolling students in 1946 with an inaugural class of 194 students. The Law School moved to its current location in Hartford, Connecticutogname>, in 1964, having increased its enrollment by forty percent in its eighteen years of existence.
Additional information can be found on the School of Law's website.
- 1943-1946 Laurence J. Ackerman (acting)
- 1946-1966 Bert E. Hopkins
- 1966-1967 Cornelius J. Scanlon (acting)
- 1967-1972 Howard R. Sacks
- 1972-1974 Francis C. Cady (acting)
- 1974-1984 Phillip I. Blumberg
- 1985-1990 George Schatzki
- 1990-2000 Hugh C. Macgill
- 2000-2006 Nell Jessup Newton
- 2007- Jeremy R. Paul
2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection includes materials associated with the reaccreditation of the School by the American Bar Association.
Series I: Reaccreditation records (undated, 1973-1983)
The materials were transferred to the University Archives prior to 1997.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Law schools Subject Source: Fast
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- West Hartford (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- University of Connecticut, School of Law Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2011 February
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description