University of Connecticut, University Club Records
Scope and Content
The collection includes minutes, correspondence, membership and financial records for the organization.
- undated, 1960-1968
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
An organizational meeting of the University Club was held on 25 February 1960, with an attendance of approximately 30. Prior to this meeting, President Jorgensen had appointed a committee composed of the officers of the two Faculty Clubs to consider the formation of a University Club. One of the important purposes of such a club would be to make available to members of the staff, facilities in the new Commons Building (addition on the north end of the Student Union). Members of the committee were George K. Brinegar, Raymond O. P. Farrish, Gertrude H. Lamb, Ellen H. Morse, Gwendolyn A. Perkins, and Francis E. Ryan (chair).
The facilities in the Commons Building designated for club members' use included dining areas, lounges for men and women, and a lounge for joint use. The games room, located on the third floor, could also be made available by reservation. It was expected that initially only lunch would be available, but that meal services could be expanded if there was sufficient interest.
The University Club was in operation from March 1960 until May 1968, when it was voted out of existence due to the establishment of a new Faculty-Alumni Center on campus. The cash assets of the University Club were transferred to the new Faculty-Alumni Center in May 1968.
0.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Organized in February 1960, the University Club was created by the merger of two former Faculty Clubs with (dining) facilities in the new "Commons" building. It ceased to exist in the spring of 1968 when its functions were undertaken by the new Faculty-Alumni Center.
The materials are arranged in one alphabetic series.
Series I: Records (undated, 1960-1968)
The records were transferred to the University Archives at an unknown time, presumably upon the dissolution of the organization.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Societies Subject Source: Fast
- Universities and colleges Subject Source: Fast
- bylaws (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Connecticut, University Club Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2006 January
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US