Charles E. Waring Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists primarily of correspondence between Geraldine Howald and Charles "Chic" Waring during their early courtship beginning in 1932 until their marriage in 1936. The letters from Chic to Gerry document their growing attachment, activities during college breaks, early employment experiences and wedding planning. Following their marriage in December 1936, the Mrs. Waring joined Dr. Waring in Brooklyn, NY, where he had moved several months prior after accepting a position at Polytechnic University in the Chemistry Department. The correspondence decreases substantially throughout the late 1930s and early 1940s with the exception of letters home to family while the Warings toured Europe. In February 1943, Charles Waring joined the Office of Scientific Research and Development in England. Although the correspondence to Mrs. Waring is expectedly vague on specifics, Dr. Waring wrote regularly and provided considerable information regarding his activities, travel and the individuals he met in the course of his work. Frequent mention is made of his travels around southern England (especially Chalgrove), Belgium, France and Germany between 1943 and his return to the United States in the summer of 1945.
The collection also includes letters, notes and postcards from friends and family, a few photographs of Dr. Waring in uniform, one image of his father and calling cards.
- undated, 1914-1988
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
Charles E. Waring was born in Phildelphia, PA, in 1909 and attended Muskingum College for his undergraduate work (B.Sc., 1931). He then went to Ohio State University where he earned the Ph.D. in 1936. While at Ohio State, he met Geraldine Howald. On December 19, 1936, Waring with a bright new Ph.D. also acquired a wife, Geraldine. In 1936, Waring was hired as instructor of chemistry at the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn. In 1939, he was one of five to be awarded the Lalor Foundation award for proficiency in chemical research. He chose to carry on his research at Oxford University, England, in collaboration with the internationally famous authority on chemical kinetics, Dr. C. N. Hinshelwood.
In the period 1936 to 1946, he rose from instructor to assistant professor at Brooklyn Poly. It was during this period that he initiated his research in the fields of kinetics and mechanism of gas and liquid phase reactions and free radical reactions; kinetics of fast reactions at ultra-high pressures; kinetics and thermodynamics of solid and liquid propellant systems; and combustion mechanisms of high energy fuels.
In 1946, Waring joined the faculty at the University of Connecticut as Head of the Chemistry Department. There were eight on the teaching staff in the department at the time. When he relinquished his administrative duties in 1966 to return to full time teaching, the department had grown to 22 members. Waring was able to carry on a full research program in addition to his administrative duties. During his tenure at the University, he served as adviser for 24 Ph.D. students and nine M.S. students. It was under Waring's leadership that the department was one of the leaders in the University to institute the Ph.D. program.
In addition to the academic research carried on in his research laboratories, Waring was very much involved in the application end of the science. From 1942 to 1946, he was a member of London Mission, OSRD. From 1946-1966, he was a Technical Aide, Division 16, NDRC. He spent the summers of 1951 to 1953 in Europe and England on a scientific and technical assignment for the U.S. Government. In 1961, while on leave from the University, he served as technical director and head of the Research Department, Naval Ordnance Test Station, China Lake. For his wartime service, he was awarded the Presidential Citation for Merit (WWII) for contributions in the field of physics, optics, and technical intelligence.
Charles Waring died on February 16, 1981.
[Biography researched by John Tanaka, Emeritus Professor of Chemistry, University of Connecticut, 2008.]
3 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains correspondence to and from Charles E. Waring and Geraldine H. Waring. Dr. Waring was a professor in the Chemistry Department at the University of Connecticut from 1946 until his retirement in 1979.
The correspondence has been arranged chronologically and further subdivided between letters sent to Dr. Waring and those from him.
Series I: Correspondence (undated, 1914-1988, bulk 1933-1945)
Series II: Photographs and Ephemera (undated, circa 1944)
The collection was donated by the estate of Geraldine Waring. Additional materials were transferred by the Chemistry Department in 2016.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Educators Subject Source: Fast
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Charles E. Waring Papers
- Archives and Special Collections staff
- 2008 March
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US