Skip to main content

Women's Club of Storrs Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1992-0028
The collection contains the working papers of the organization including minutes, reports, bulletins, yearbooks as well as photographs and newspaper clippings concerning the Club's activities. The yearbook (membership directory) of the organization is restricted for ten years from the date of publication.

Dates

  • undated, 1903-2008

Access

The collection is open and available for research, except for the yearbook. Access to the Yearbooks (membership directory) is restricted to WCOS members for ten years from the date of publication.

Restrictions on Use

Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.

Extent

6.5 Linear Feet

Abstract

The Women's Club of Storrs began as the College Club in 1903. The purpose of the club, as stated in the first club constitution, was to promote literary and social culture. Membership was open to women connected with the [University of Connecticut] faculty, and included a few women faculty and faculty wives. A new constitution adopted in 1917 changed the name to the Women's Club of Storrs, and offered membership to “any woman of the community interested in the aims of the club.”

History

The Women's Club of Storrs began as the College Club in 1903. The purpose of the club, as stated in the first club constitution, was to promote literary and social culture. Membership was open to women connected with the [University of Connecticut] faculty, and included a few women faculty and faculty wives. The first meeting was held 9 November 9 1903, and early meetings were held in member's homes. In January 1904 members voted to hold meetings in Grove Cottage.

The club's constitution was revised in 1904 to include “the instruction of the members through such course of reading and study as the club may select.” Eligibility for membership was broadened to include women in the community, and the club joined the State Federation of Women's Clubs in Connecticut.

By 1913 the club's name had been changed to the Book Club. A new constitution adopted in 1917 changed the name to the Women's Club of Storrs, and offered membership to “any woman of the community interested in the aims of the club.”

Arrangement

The records of the Women's Club of Storrs covers the period from its inception in 1903 through 1992, with the bulk of material focusing on the years 1933-1989. The collection is arranged in four series.

Series I: Minutes (1903-2001) contains five bound volumes of Minutes of the General Meetings from 1903-1965 and folders from 1951-2001, as well as two bound volumes of Minutes of the Executive Board from 1951-1965 and eleven folders from 1951-1989. Both of these meetings were held monthly. The bound volumes of Executive Board Minutes also include copies of the first and revised constitutions and bylaws as well as club programs.

Series II: Bulletins and Yearbooks (1914-1986). The bulletins summarize the activities of all the club's groups and committees. Materials for 1933-1934 also contain newspaper clippings about club activities. The yearbooks, called programs before 1953-1954, cover the period from 1914-1986, with the bulk between 1950-1986. Yearbooks list club officers, meetings and programs for the year, department and committee chairpersons, honorary life members and former presidents.

Series III: Administrative Records (undated, 1927-2001) houses a variety of club records. These records include annual meetings and reports, correspondence, membership lists, constitutions and bylaws, officer and chairmen lists, and committee information.

Series IV: Photographs And Newspaper Clippings (1955-1966) contains an album of photographs and newspaper clippings. They deal with club activities, the election of new officers, the awarding of scholarships, and speakers at club meetings.

Series V: Additions contains additions to the collection added after 2012.

Acquisition Information

The records of the Women's Club of Storrs were donated to the Historical Manuscripts and Archives [HMA] Department (now Archives & Special Collections) of the University of Connecticut Libraries by the Mansfield Historical Society in 1992. Subsequent donations have been received from WCOS members periodically.

Related Material

Archives & Special Collections has a substantial collection of materials pertaining to various aspects of Connecticut history. For detailed information on these collections please contact the curator or ask at the Reading Room desk.
Title
Women's Club of Storrs Records
Status
under_revision
Author
Jeffrey Bass, Cecilia Dolan, Ethan Avery, Evelyn Luchs.
Date
1994 October
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2014 October: Incorporate additional content

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository

Contact:
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US