Ed Young Papers
Scope and Content
The collection contains preliminary and original art created by Young and used in the publication of children's books. A few pieces of correspondence are included in the collection. Some of the pieces are framed or under Plexiglas.
- Young, Ed (Creator, Person)
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
Ed Young is a children’s book author/illustrator and winner of many prestigious awards including a Caldecott Medal for Lon Po Po: a Red Riding-Hood Story from China, two Caldecott Honor Awards, and two nominations for the Hans Christian Andersen Award. Mr. Young was born in Tientsin, China in 1931 and raised in Shanghai and Hong Kong, where he was interested in drawing and storytelling from an early age. He moved to the U.S. in 1951 to study architecture but quickly changed his focus to art. Mr. Young has illustrated over eighty books, many of which he also wrote.
130 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains preliminary and original art created by Ed Young as illustrations for children's books.
Materials were boxed according to type of artwork (preliminary or original) with the exception of the oversize and framed pieces.
The collection was placed on Deposit in Archives & Special Collections by Mr. Young in October 1997.
The following materials have been separated from the collection and cataloged:
General Physical Description note
100 linear feet.
- Artists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors Subject Source: Fast
- Awards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Children's literature Subject Source: Fast
- Illustrations (layout features). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrators Subject Source: Fast
- Painters Subject Source: Fast
- United States (nation) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Works of Art Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Young, Ed
- Ed Young Papers
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2015 June
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US