University of Connecticut, Animal Science Department Records
Scope and Content
The collection contains three boxes and twelve volumes of herd and experiment (cheese making) records.
- undated, 1893-1971
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
In April 1881, the Connecticut General Assembly established the Storrs Agricultural School after accepting a gift of 170 acres of land, several frame buildings, and money from Charles and Augustus Storrs. The School opened on 28 September 1881, with twelve students in the first class. Before the turn of the century there were two name changes (Storrs Agricultural College 1893, Connecticut Agricultural College 1899). In 1933, two years after the institution celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, it became Connecticut State College, a name more in keeping with its steady advances and broadened mission. Six years later, in 1939, the General Assembly designated the institution the University of Connecticut, an acknowledgment of the institution's developing importance to the State in graduate and professional education, research and public service.
The University of Connecticut is recognized as the state's flagship institution of higher learning. Since its establishment, the University has grown to include 13 Schools and Colleges at its main campus in Storrs, separate Schools of Law and Social Work in Hartford, five regional campuses throughout the state and Schools of Medicine and Dentistry at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.
UConn is a Land Grant and Sea Grant College and a Space Grant Consortium institution. The University spans 4,104 acres at its main campus and five regional campuses, and an additional 162 acres at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.
graduate students and undergraduates explore everything from improving human health to enhancing public education and protecting the country’s natural resources.
One of the oldest programs at the University, the Animal Science Department is in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Specific information about the program and degrees is available on their website.
9.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains twelve volumes of herd and experiment (cheese making) records and was transferred from the Animal Science Department in 2000.
Series I: Inventory (undated, 1893-1967)
The materials in the collection were transferred from the department in 2000.
- University of Connecticut, Animal Science Department Records
- Under Revision
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2011 February
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description