Wauregan and Quinebaug Company Records
Scope and Content
The collection contains documentation for several generations of the Atwood family and the two textile mills with which they are associated-Wauregan Mills and Quinebaug Mill. Documents include correspondence, legal and financial records, reports, minutes, certificates, newspaper clippings, publications, photographs, blueprints, drawings, charters, by-laws, catalogs, payroll and personnel files, and similar types of materials pertaining to the Wauregan and Quinebaug companies as well as the individuals mostly closely associated with their management. Detailed descriptions are to be found in the series descriptions below, which are divided into four (roughly chronological) groups: Wauregan Company, Quinebaug Company, Wauregan-Quinebaug Company and General.
Access to personally identifiable information in the Personnel Records is restricted. Please contact the Curator for further information. The remainder of the collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.
The history of the Wauregan Mills, the Quinebaug Company and other related mills is very much tied to the history of the Atwood [see Appendix for genealogical chart; due to software incompatibilities the genealogical information cannot be displayed electronically, please contact the collection curator for a copy of this information] family. In each generation, son followed father in the management of the mills with which the family became connected. In each case, their education included working from the bottom up. Each Atwood worked his way, albeit rapidly, from bobbin boy to management. Their knowledge of the textile industry enabled their mill enterprises to achieve great success marked by an expanding work force and new mill construction.
The family's connection with the Wauregan Mills began with the effort of John Atwood, son of Kimball and Salinda (Colgrove) Atwood. He was born on 16 February 1805 and died 31 July 1865. He married Julia A. Battey on 9 September 1830, and they had two children. John entered the employ of the Williamsville Mill owned by Caleb Williams, who had constructed the mill in 1827. Samuel and William Foster subsequently purchased this mill. In 1849, John Atwood became a partner. During this time, Atwood was able to produce a better grade of cotton sheeting than other mills. His product was finished by the W. F. & F. C. Sayles Company bleachery in Saylesville, Rhode Island. This exceptional sheeting captured the trade for years.
James S. Atwood, one of John's sons, was born 17 March 1832. James was educated at Smithville Seminary in Scituate, Rhode Island, and Woodstock Academy in Woodstock, Connecticut, after which he began working under the guiding hand of his father at the Williamsville mill. At Williamsville, he "mastered every detail of cotton manufacturing, serving in the various posiitons from bobbin boy to general manager, and thus making himself perfectly familiar with the construction and working of every machine in the mill." He married Julia Haskell on 17 September 1855, and they had three sons. Their twin sons James Arthur and John Walter were born 18 May 1864 and were later intimately involved in the family's textile business.
James S. Atwood became superintendent of the mill at Wauregan in 1853. At the time, a mill building was erected (1853-1854) for the manufacture of "plain and fancy cotton cloth." In 1858-1859 and 1866-1867, the mill building was expanded and new buildings were constructed. Amos D. Lockwood sold his stock in the mills to Orray Taft & Company soon after its founding and J. S. Atwood became resident agent. Water from the Quinebaug River and steam pwer were used to run the factory, in addition to 700 cords of wood and 1,500 tons of coal annually. There were five turbined wheels which generated 1,000 horsepower; an additional steam engine was able to provide another 400 horsepwer when required. The factory was lighted with gas from coal oil made on the premises. Under Atwood's direction, Wauregan Mills soon became well-known for its cotton goods, including various types of flannels and other woven cloth.
In his relation to the village of Wauregan, James S. Atwood "took great pride in the village which he saw, under the fostering care and ownership of the company, develop into one of the model hamlets of the vicinity, where the employees could find attractive and comfortable homes near their daily tasks." There were 104 company owned houses, providing 255 low rent tenements. In 1859, a railraod station was built and later, in 1860, a post office was established. The company constructed two boarding houses in order to accommodate the single workers. A dairy farm, light company, and general store were part of the mill operation as well as woodland acreage. The company store was built in 1875. J. A. Atwood III noted that the company constantly had to subsidize the store's operations because it had traditionally been a "losing operation." Across from the store was a building used as a firehouse and clubhouse. The village jail was attached to this building and its upper floor housed a reading room and library.
During this time, the Ponemah Mill at Taftville (Norwich), Connecticut, was an enterprise in which James S. Atwood's "managing hand was very evident. It was built after his own plan and under his direct supervision, and like the business at Wauregan, enjoyed phenomenal success." The Ponemah Mill was a pioneer in the manufacturing of "fine and fancy goods" and was perhaps the first mill to use combers on a large scale.
James S. Atwood was a long-standing member of the Republican Party and served in the Connecticut State Legislature in 1862 and again in 1868. He was also a Presidential Elector in the campaign of 1864 for the Republican ticket. He was also a member of the Congregational Church and it was through his efforts that the Congregational church in Wauregan was constructed. He died 20 February 1885 in Wauregan, Connecticut.
James Arthur Atwood, son of James S. Atwood, was educated in the Wauregan schools and attended Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts, graduating from that institution in 1881. He continued his education at the Sheffield Scientific School at Yale University and graduated in 1885. He then followed the same training at the mill in Wauregan as his father. Starting as bobbin boy, he was soon moved into the office and eventually was appointed agent for Wauregan in 1889. At various times in his life, James A. Atwood held the positions of president of the Williamsville Manufacturing Company; president of the Wauregan Company; president of the Ponemah Mills; and director, until 1901, of the Sterling Dyeing & Finishing Company of Sterling, Connecticut. He married Helen Louise Mathewson on 11 December 1888. Their two children were J. Arthur, Jr. and Dorothy.
In March 1897, J. A. Atwood also assumed the position of agent for the Quinebaug Company in Danielson, Connecticut. He operated two mills there. The oldest was built in 1820 by Comfort Tiffany and was known as the Danielson Manufacturing Company, or the "Tiffany Mill." The mill was bought in 1851 by Amos D. Lockwood and his associates from Providence, Rhode Island. It then became part of the new Quinebaug Company. In 1864, the Qinebaug Company built a second mill in Danielson, "a massive stone mill." The oldest mill was constructed of wood. Its water wheel system produced 100 horsepower. The stone mill, was many times larger than the wooden mill and generated 900 horsepwer. In both mills, steam engines provided pwer when water levels were inadequate for water power. The Quinebaug Company operated 54, 736 spindles and 1,400 looms in its two mills by 1889. Also in that year, the company employed 800 people and issued a payroll of $19,000 every four weeks. The company built 200 brick tenements in Danielson for employee housing. It also built and operated a large store, grist mill and saw mill. By 1889, its two textile mills were producing 3,000,000 yards of cloth a year, primarily sheetings of different widths and weights. The stock of the Quinebaug Company was owned mostly in Providence. The mills of the Wauregan Company were only a few miles down river. Close ties existed between the two companies because of their common ownership by the Lockwood family. The Atwoods created stronger links between the companies in later years. James Arthur Atwood was the agent and president for both companies, becoming agent for the Wauregan Mills in 1889 and for the Quinebaug Company in 1897.
John Walter Atwood followed the same educational path as his twin brother, James Arthur Atwood. In 1888, he was appointed superintendent of the Wauregan Mills. During his adult life, he was active in the Republican Party and was elected to the Connecticut State Legislature in 1899, where he served as a member of the powerful Appropriations Committee. He was commissioned Commissary General and served as such until 1 July 1899, at which time he was appointed paymaster general. He married Ethel Alexander on 1 June 1887.
In January 1899, the name of the company was legally changed to the Wauregan Company. James A. Atwood and his brother, John Walter Atwood, spent the following years expanding and making general improvements on the mill. By 1917, the company employed 325 men and 160 women and children. The company's general offices were located at Twenty Market Square in Providence. James Arthur Atwood, Jr. served as assistant treasurer until his untimely death in 1922. Gordon Harrower was treasurer and general manager of the Wauregan mill, and became president when James A. Atwood, Sr. died. Harrower learned the textile business at Nashawena Mills in New Bedford, Massachusetts. He became associated with the Atwoods through their New York selling house, the American Bleached Goods Company.
In October 1932, the Wauregan and Quinebaug mills merged to form the Wauregan-Quinebaug Company, Inc. Both of these mills were operated by the Atwoods and their agents. The merger took place in such a manner that the Wauregan Company became the controlling partner. The mills specialized in cotton fabrics and experimented with a number of types of weaves and spins. In 1942, the Wauregan-Quinebaug Company again reorganized. The Quinebaug mills was sold to the U.S. Rayon Corporation, and the main plant became the one located in Wauregan. James A. Atwood, Sr. retained the presidency while Gordon Harrower remained as treasurer and general manager. By May 1943, the company was known as the Wauregan Mills, Inc.
During World War II, the Wauregan company concentrated on the manufacture of military facbrics, in particular, "shirtings" for the Marine Corps. Thousands of dollars were spent on equipment for this effort. The company received five "E" awards from the Army and Navy for "outstanding production of war materials." During this time, almost 90% of their output was shipped to the armed services.
James Arthur Atwood III spent two years in England as an instructor in radar for the 8th Air Force. After the war, he studied at the North Carolina Textile School. While in school, he worked part-time in the Pilot Mills in Raleigh, North Carolina. His first full-time employment after graduating was with the J. P. Stevens Company in Greenville, South Carolina, where he worked his way through their management course. J. A. Atwood III returned to Wauregan in 1948 because of the poor health of his grandfather and Gordon Harrower. He began as assistant treasurer and became president and treasurer of the company in 1957.
Once the war was over, the company returned to peace-time production. Wauregan joined other mills in the manufacture of rayon and wool facbrics. Unfortunately, the "bottom dropped out" of the market for this product in 1949 and the company lost about $750,000 that year. The fluctuations in the marketplace were soon followed by a devastating flood of 1955.
Both mill and village suffered the ravages of the great flood of 1955. Contemporary newspaper accounts reveal that it was an extraordinary feat that the mill was able to rebuild and operate afterwards. The flood caused a disasterous delay in the supply of Dacron from Dupont which Wauregan had hoped to run in a 35/65 blend that the mill had developed with Dupont. Wauregan had spent thousands of dollars on this development and the delay in delivery of the raw materials caused a severe financial burden for the company.
At the same time, the increased competition from Japanese imports and their ability to "inventory" in the United States created an industry-wide pressure on domestic textile manufacturers. In 1957, Wauregan consolidated back to one mill building (building closest to the Quinebaug River). It was finally decided to stop mill operations in early 1958. After this time, the company began to sell its equipment and surplus real estate. The company ceased its operations in Wauregan in 1979, although it continues to exist as a corporate body.
- James S. Atwood superintendent of mill at Wauregan.
- John Walter Atwood appointed superintendent of Wauregan Mills.
- James Arthur Atwood appointed agent for Wauregan Mills.
- James Arthur Atwood agent for Quinebaug Company.
- Name changed to Wauregan Company.
- Wauregan-Quinebaug Company formed by the merger of the two mills.
- Quinebaug mill sold.
- Name changed to Wauregan Mills, Inc.
- James Arthur Atwood III appointed assistant treasurer of Wauregan Mills, Inc.
- James A. Atwood III president and treasurer of Wauregan Mills, Inc.
- Wauregan consolidated and only one mill still operating.
- Decision made to cease mill operations and sale of equipment and surplus real estate begins.
- Company ceases operations in Wauregan.
206 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The history of the Wauregan Mills, the Quinebaug Company and other related mills is very much tied to the history of the Atwood family. The collection includes family records and materials as well as records of the Wauregan Mills, Wauregan Company, Quinebaug Mill, Wauregan-Quinebaug Company, and Wauregan Mills, Inc.
Series I: Administrative Records (1809-1979) consists of ten subseries. Legal Records contains articles of incorporation, contracts (1852-1932, 1942-1962), minutes of the Board of Directors (1916-1979) and patents and trademarks (1850-1957). Land Records (1809-1932, 1942-1968) consists of deeds, surveys, and two volumes of recorded deeds. Management Records contains annual reports (1904-1958) and executive accounts for J .A. Atwood, J. S. Atwood, J. W. Atwood, and A. L. Danielson during their respective tenures as company officials. Stock Records consists of 26 volumes and one box of records containing stockholders meeting records, stock certificates, dividend records, stock transfers, and printed material. Reports, arranged by type, contains insurance appraisals, census reports (1900-1920, 1950), audits (1900-1919, 1942-1956), water levels of the canal and dam (1874-1957), government compliance reports (1942-1957), and internal reports of the company. Profit and Costs Analyses (1859-1860, 1889-1932, 1943-1972) record the assets and liabilities of the Wauregan mill and store operations. Flood of 1955 includes records documenting the disaster. Wauregan Power Station has correspondence and an agreement (1914). Publications includes printed company charters and bylaws, "E" awards material, company printed forms, magazine and newspaper articles, and a copy of the "Illustrated Souvenir of Central Village and Wauregan" (1885). Textile Associations includes published materials from 1929 through 1947.
Series II: Correspondence (1866-1963) is divided into four subseries. General Correspondence (1866-1925, 1942-1957) includes 18 letter press copy books; Comptroller's Office Correspondence (1942-1953); Alexander Maino's Correspondence as superintendent (1949-1954); and Gordon Harrower's Correspondence as assistant treasurer, treasurer, general manager, and president of Wauregan (1924-1945, 1950-1963). The Harrower correspondence is arranged in alphabetical order by correspondence from 1924 to 1945 and from 1952 to 1963. His files for 1950 and 1951 are alphabetically arranged within each year. Maino's and the Comptroller's Office files are arranged alphabetically with some files list chronologically.
Series III: General Accounts Records (1853-1977) consist of seven subseries. Journals contains 23 volumes (1877-1932, 1972-1973); Cashbooks has 16 volumes (1880-1933, 1943-1949, 1971-1977); Ledgers includes 28 volumes (1857-1934); Executive Account Records (1877-1891, 1894-1932) consisting primarily of Mill Fund accounts and five volumes of trial balances; Accounts Payable and Receivable (1889-1925, 1954-1972); Statements (1853-1875); and Invoices (1885-1905) containing 10 volumes and loose records. The series contains oversize volumes in addition to those volumes that are boxed.
Series IV: Purchasing and Receiving Records (1863-1957) consists of five volumes of production supply invoices (1943-1953); thirteen volumes of Cotton Purchase records (1866-1869, 1889-1935, 1941-1954); and Inventories (1863-1871, 1950-1957).
Series V: Production Records (1860-1965) is divided into eight subseries. The first four pertain to equipment: Machinery (1900-1933, 1942-1960); Machine Layouts (1921, 1945, 1949, 1957); Supplies and Repairs (1860-1920, 1940-1959); and Engineering Studies by Lockwood, Greene & Co. (1911-1912), I.T.T. (1945-1947), Ralph E. Loper Co. (1946-1948) and >Henry Souther Engineering Co. (1965). Supply Catalogs, arranged in alphabetical order by company, comprises the bulk of this series. The catalogs contain specifications, illustrations and blueprints of equipment used at the Wauregan mill. Many of the catalogs are annotated. Production Reports and Analyses; Production Records contains thirteen record books, five boxes of weaving pattern charts and two boxes of production record files which span the entire period of the company's operations, with the bulk of the material beginning in the 1890s. Fabric Samples (1904-1933) includes four oversize volumes of samples, one box of sales brochures with attached samples and three boxes of fabric sample cards.
Series VI: Labor Records (1855-1958) is arranged in six subseries. Payroll and Wage Accounts (1943-1957) includes seven oversize volumes of payroll and overhead analyses. Employee Management consists of one box of general records (1890-1957), including the 1957 union contract and negotiation records. Personnel Files (1936-1958) contains 23 boxes arranged alphabetically that are available at the discretion of the curator due to privacy concerns. The earliest years (1936-1942) cover the employee records under the tenure of the Wauregan-Quinebaug Company. Also included in the series are Housing Records (1855-1895, 1957). Wauregan Store records consist of two volumes (1889, 1936-1938) and a few documents are all that survive. Further information concerning the store can be extracted from the Mill Fund records located in the General Accounts and similar financial documents located in Series III. Mill Cafeteria (1943-1956) are arranged by the original folder headings from the company's files.
Series VII: Sales and Shipping Records (1875-1964) contains five oversized sales ledgers and two boxes of Sales Records (1875-1936, 1942-1964). Shipping Records consist of invoices (1889-1893) and one folder of shipping receipts from railroad companies (1891-1893).
Series VIII: Administrative Records (1827-1932) is comprised of six subseries. Legal Records, including the Act of Incorporation, charter and amendments (1851-1930); contracts (1870-1932); tax records (1878-1906); minutes of the Board of Directors (1932) and patent certificates (1915-1925); Land Records (1827-1932); Stock Records (1852-1932); Administrative Accounts (1862, 1871-1932), including some which contain information about Wauregan Mills and examples of company printed business forms. Also found in this series are Reports, including annual reports (1903-1920), audits (1910-1919), census reports (1905-1919), dam and water level reports (1857-1928), product and cost analyses (1877-1932), and a 1930 survey report of the mill facilities and operations. The series also includes Insurance Records (1865-1930).
Series IX: Correspondence (undated, 1850-1932) contains the correspondence of William B. Tobey (1859); Amos D. Lockwood (1855-1879); and J. W. Danielson (1875-1895). The series also contains general correspondence of the company (1850-1932).
Series X: General Accounts Records (1848-1932) consists of 17 volumes of Journals (1848-1932), one Daybook (1918-1929), thirty volumes of Cashbooks (1851-1932), twelve bound and one unbound volumes of Ledgers (1848-1932), one Trial Balance volume (1926-1932) and an extensive collection of receipts, invoices, telegrams and correspondence (undated, 1855-1897), some of which pertains to or overlaps with the financial records of the Quinebaug Company Store.
Series XI: Purchasing and Receiving Records (1850-1932) contains six volumes of cotton purchase records (1888-1891, 1901-1929) and one box of purchase invoices and receipts (1850-1932).
Series XII: Production Records (1875-1934) consists of 25 volumes of weekly Production Reports and five volumes of supplementary production reports (1881-1934), with later volumes also containing records for the Wauregan Mills; records of cotton used in production (1875-1932); Equipment records (1880-1932) arranged alphabetically by supplier; and engineering studies (1893-1929).
Series XIII: Labor Records (1856-1932) is divided into three subseries. Labor Records includes payroll accounts (1897-1898, 1926-1927), wage schedules (1895-1928) and a very small number of medical, evening school and immigration records (1883-1900). Housing contains a tenement lease book (1856-1868) and a few items on tenement rentals (1884). Quinebaug Store (1872-1932) includes store account books, receipts and invoices, some of which overlap with the financial records found in Series X.
Series XIV: Sales and Shipping Records (1858-1932) contains the records of Sales (1858-1932), although the records from 1885 to 1916 and from 1925 to 1932 are very sparse. Shipping records (1858-1897) also include a freight ledger (1917- 1930).
Wauregan-Quinebaug Company Records
Series XV: Administrative Records (1853-1967) consists of six subseries. Administrative Correspondence (1932-1942) includes correspondence and printed materials concerning the sale of the Quinebaug mill property (1939-1942). Reconstruction Finance Corporation (1936-1942) materials are arranged by type of record: correspondence (1938-1942); resolutions (1939-1942); contracts, land records, loan agreements, and profit/loss statements (1936-1941) and working papers, consisting of in-house statistics gathered for R.F.C. reports (1938-1941), including an equipment inventory of the mill. Legal Records (1853-1961) includes legal correspondence, contracts, land records, minutes of the Board of Directors (1932-1961) and patents (1933-1942). Stock Records (1932-1943) consists of stockholders meeting material (1932-1943), dividend reports, proxy votes (1933, 1935), and sample certificates. The majority of the subseries consists of stockholders information concerning the company reorganizations in 1932 and 1942. Insurance Records (1933-1948) includes policy accounts and insurance appraisals. J.A. Atwood III contains audit reports and expenditures.
Series XVI: General Accounts Records (1929-1959) includes Journals (1932-1943); Cashbook (1932-1943); and Ledgers (1930-1942, 1957-1959). The remainder of the series consists of balance sheets (1929-1942); audits (1940-1941); taxation records (1936-1943); trial balances (1932-1938); a Pro-Forma Balance Sheet (1932); and two volumes of account books (1933-1935).
Series XVII: Purchasing and Receiving Records (1932-1943) consists of Cotton reports and related correspondence which chronicles the purchase, use and inventory of cotton at the mills (1932-1943); Inventories (1932-1943) in five volumes; and two Invoice registers (1938-1943).
Series XVIII: Production Records (undated, 1932-1956) contains Production reports (1933, 1935-1937, 1941), including one volume of weaving and spinning reports (1934-1956); Engineering Studies (1938-1941); Equipment Records (1932-1942); and four oversize volumes of Fabric Samples with an additional brochure for Swan Suede Crepe fabric.
Series XIX: Labor Records (1932-1942) is divided into two subseries. Personnel and Payroll Records (1935-1942) includes very few items directly concerning individual employees, but does contain a wage survey conducted in 1942. The Labor Records (Series VI) of the Wauregan Mills records contains the personnel files of the Wauregan-Quinebaug Company employees (1936-1942) in the Personnel Files subseries (Subseries C). Labor Housing (1934-1941) contains correspondence, reports, and printed materials for the sale of the Danielsonville, Brooklyn and Wauregan Village tenement properties.
Series XX: Sales Records (1935-1952) consist of two account books, yard orders (1935-1941) and a scrapbook of newspaper clippings on accepted bids for producing cloth (1951-1952).
Series XXI: Photographs and prints (undated, 1795-1955) is arranged by type (prints, negatives, engravings) and then by location. The series includes photographs of dam and canal construction, a Wauregan-Quinebaug employee outing (1937), an extensive collection of images of the 1955 flood, employees at work using various pieces of textile machinery and in groups, early images of Atwood Family residences, stereoscopic views of Wauregan Village, aerial and ground views of the Wauregan and Quinebaug mills, and "E" award ceremonies.
Series XXII: Personal Papers (1843-1966) include private and family papers of the Atwood family. J.A. Atwood Business Records contains materials relating to other mills and companies with which Atwood was associated. J.A. Atwood Personal Papers contains correspondence, financial and land records, obituaries and similar items. Business Records includes the first journal (1843-1855) of Lockwood Company, one volume from the Wauregan Library Association (1866-1895), and one volume of Wauregan Water Company records (1949-1966). Estate Records includes materials relating to J.S. Atwood, John W. Atwood, Julia A.M. Atwood and several individuals from other families. Legal Records includes legal materials relating to various Atwood family members and others. Atwood Family Papers contains information about J. A. Atwood, Jr., J. A. Atwood III, J. S. Atwood, Julia Atwood, Frances van Hall (Wauregan employee) and others.
Series XXIII: Architectural Drawings and Blueprints (undated, 1866, 1876, 1895, 1918, 1931) includes a variety of non-textual records. The architectural drawings and blueprints relate primarily to Wauregan Mills, with some materials for Quinebaug Company. They include land maps, plans for mill buildings and tenements, illustrations of architectural details, machinery drawings, plans for electrical work and water supply, a bird's-eye view of the Quinebaug mills, and plans for a schoolhouse and farmhouse. Of special interest is a mechanical drawing of textile machinery signed by J.S. Atwood.
Series XXIV: Memorabilia (undated, 1934, 1945) includes a mailbag, several signs and a cigarette sales permit.
The records of the Wauregan Company, the Quinebaug Company and the Wauregan-Quinebaug Company were under the control of the Wauregan Company until 1981. The materials were donated on 12 February 1981 by J. A. Atwood III.
Location of Copies or Alternate Formats
Digital reproductions of materials in this collection may also be found in the Archives & Special Collections digital repository.
Materials Removed for cataloging:
Adjutant General's reports. (1901, 1902) Dodd
The American Cotton Industry. (1903) Dodd A5050
The American Wool and Cotton Reporter. Dodd Periodicals
Annual reports of the Town of Plainfield. (1913) Dodd
A Brief Hisotry of the firm of Taylor, Pinkham & Co., Inc. (1946) Dodd A5714
Cotton Year Book of the New York Stock Exchange. (1941, 1947-1950) Dodd
Facts. Dodd C5951
Globe Review. Dodd Periodicals
Golden Jubilee Souvenir Program, St. James School. (1940) Dodd WLC 10
A Half Century of Achievement. (1921) Dodd D1683
Illustrated Souvenir of Central Village and Wauregan. With Additional Views in "Beautiful Plainfield."
Kitson Cotton opening, cleaning, conveying and picking. Dodd C5955
Machinery Calculations. (1923, 19--) Dodd A5048/9
Manual of Power. (1874) Dodd WTS 9
Memoirs of a Corporation. Chapters II, VIII. (1950) Dodd WHD 57
The Melliand. Dodd C6164
Modern Machine Shop Practice V. II (1888). Dodd
Platts Bulletin. Dodd Periodicals
Reports of the Town of Plainfield, Conn. (1944) Dodd
The Saco-Lowell Bulletin. Dodd Periodicals
The Safe Foreman. Dodd Periodicals
The Science of Modern Cotton Spinning V. I (1873). Dodd D1834
Silk Code Bulletin. Dodd Periodicals
Textile research journal, v.15:no.7 (1945:July). Dodd Periodicals
The Theory of Carding. (1951) Dodd WTS 8
Transactions of the National Association of Cotton Manufacturers. No. 128-129. (1930) Dodd
Vertical Integration in the Textile Industries. (1938) Dodd
Water Power of Maine. (1867) Dodd C7246
Whitin Card Room Machinery. (1949) Dodd WTS 7
The Whitin Review. Dodd Periodicals
Work Experience Program. Dodd WHD 47
Worth Street Rules. (1941) Dodd
Worthington Standard Industrial Products Catalog. Dodd C5956
- Atwood, James Arthur, Sr. Untitled history of the Atwood family and its connections to the textile industry.Typescript.1947
- Atwood, James Arthur, III Interview with Joseph Carvalho.Moosup, Connecticut.8 March 1983
- Bayles, R.M., ed. History of Windham County.New York, NY: W.W. Preston & Co., 1889
- Burgess, Charles F., ed. Plainfield Souvenir. Moosup, CT: N.P.1895
- Commemorative Biographical Record of Tolland and Windham Counties.Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co., 1903
- Connecticut Circle. January 1953
- Cutter, William Richard, ed. Genealogical and Family History of the State of Connecticut. NY: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1991
- Larned, Ellen D. History of Windham County, Connecticut.Worcester, MA: N.P.1880
- Plainfield Historical Society. "History of Plainfield's Villages" Plainfield, CT: Plainfield Historical Society,1982
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Blueprints (reprographic copies). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maps (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Monographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newspapers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Patterns (guides) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Speeches (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Swatches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Wauregan and Quinebaug Company Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note