Bill Thomson Papers
Scope and Content
The Bill Thomson Papers consist of sketches, finished artwork, models, advertising artwork, and artwork created during Thomson's student days as well as documenting his life as a professional illustrator. There are also five panels documenting the creative process in the life of a brochure.
- undated, 1979-2010
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
Born in Waterbury, CT, in 1963, Bill Thomson has created artwork for advertising, book, and editorial clients across the United States. Thomson’s recent work has focused primarily on children’s books, illustrating Karate Hour, Building With Dad, Baseball Hour, Chalk and Soccer Hour for Cavendish Children's Books. Thomson's artwork has received numerous awards and recognition in the country’s most prestigious juried illustration competitions, including those sponsored by the Society of Illustrators (NY), the Los Angeles Society of Illustrators, Communication Arts, Step Inside Design and Three By Three. Thomson has also received Gold and Silver Awards from the Los Angeles Society of Illustrators and the Connecticut Art Director’s Club, and his work has been exhibited in numerous group shows in New York and across the country. Thomson was the winner of 2009 Connecticut Book Award for Children’s Illustrator and was also a finalist for the award in 2005 and 2007. His books have received accolades from the National Parenting Publications (Gold Award), the International Reading Association (Children’s Book Award Notable), the American Library Association (Children’s Book Notable and Booklist Editor’s Choice), and been nominated for state book awards in Indiana, Ohio, Utah, Washington, South Dakota, Kentucky, South Carolina, Delaware, Texas, Tennessee, Kentucky and Iowa. Bill Thomson is an Associate Professor of Illustration at the Hartford Art School at the University of Hartford where he received the Award for Outstanding Teaching in 2004. Thomson lives and works in Southington, Connecticut, with his wife, Diann, and their three sons, Billy, Nik, and Ethan. To see more of Thomson’s artwork, please see http://www.billthomson.com or his blog at http://billthomsonillustration.blogspot.com/.
19.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Bill Thomson Papers contain artwork spanning from his high school days in Southington, CT to his recent picture books, Building with Dad, Chalk, Baseball Hour, Karate Hour and Soccer Hour. The collection contains sketches, models, finished artwork and illustrations from his work as the illustrator working with his wife Diann, who is the graphic designer for their firm Thomson Illustration and Design.
The Papers are arranged in two series, with Series I containing the bulk of the collection in seven boxes generally arranged by book project. Series II consists of the works of art in Art Storage.
Series I: Preliminary and Finished Artwork, Photographs, Research Materials ( 1979-2010)
Series II: Exhibit panels and paintings (undated)
Bill Thomson began transferring his papers to the Northeast Children's Literature Collection in 2010.
- Karate Hour, Marshall Cavendish, 2004.
- Building with Dad, Marshall Cavendish, 2006.
- Baseball hour, Marshall Cavendish, 2008.
- Chalk, Marshall Cavendish, 2010.
- Soccer Hour, Marshall Cavendish, 2011.
- Authors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature Subject Source: Fast
- College teachers Subject Source: Fast
- Connecticut (state) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Drawings (visual works). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Galley proofs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrated children's books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrations (layout features). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrators Subject Source: Fast
- Monographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Posters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Southington (inhabited place) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Waterbury (Conn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Works of Art Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Bill Thomson Papers
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2011 June
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US