Donald Carrick Papers
Scope and Content
The collection contains the correspondence, sketches, notes, galleys and illustrations of Donald Carrick.
- undated, 1969-1990
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
Donald Carrick, born in 1929 in Dearborn Michigan, was a landscape artist as well as a children's book illustrator and author who collaborated with his wife Carol Carrick for over twenty years to create thirty-seven children's books. Their career together began when Donald, a portrait and landscape painter who had studied in Spain, at the Colorado Springs Fine Art Center, and at the Vienna Academy of Art, was asked by Robert Goldston to illustrate his children's history book The Civil War in Spain (1966). As Donald went on to illustrate other books, an editor suggested that he write and illustrate a picture book of his own. With Carol's help, Donald wrote and illustrated the book The Old Barn followed by several other nature books including The Brook, Swamp Spring, and The Pond. Donald has illustrated, authored, and co-authored dozens of books including The Climb, Milk, The Empty Squirrel, The Deer in the Pasture, and The Tree. Donald Carrick died in 1989 at his home in Edgartown, Massachusetts after a brief illness.
50 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Donald Carrick Papers document the creative life of Carrick and in a small part, his wife Carol. All in all the two produced 37 works together, with Donald doing the illustrations and Carol doing the research and the writing. The collections contains mainly the output of Donald and includes Carol's text for Old Mother Witch.
The Donald Carrick Papers are arranged in a single series.
The Donald Carrick Papers were donated by his widow Carol Carrick on September 27, 2002.
- Artists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors Subject Source: Fast
- Children's literature Subject Source: Fast
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrations (layout features). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrators Subject Source: Fast
- Monographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Painters Subject Source: Fast
- Preliminaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Works of Art Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Donald Carrick Papers
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2009 October
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description