Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators (New England) Records
Scope and Contents
The records of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, New England chapter, document the development of the regional chapter from its inception in 1972 to 2010. Materials include the society's publications (SCBWI: NE News), ephemera, administrative records, fliers, clippings, transcripts, posters, and correspondence.
The collection is open and available for research.
Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
Founded in 1971 by a group of Los Angeles-based children's writers, the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization which is one of the largest existing organizations for writers and illustrators. It is the only professional organization specifically for those individuals writing and illustrating for children and young adults in the fields of children’s literature, magazines, film, television, and multimedia. Several of the most prestigious children’s literature professionals sit on the SCBWI Board of Advisors. The SCBWI acts as a network for the exchange of knowledge between writers, illustrators, editors, publishers, agents, librarians, educators, booksellers and others involved with literature for young people. It also serves as a voice for professional writers and illustrators the world over. As a unified body, the SCBWI acts as a powerful force to effect important changes within the field of children's literature, promoting new copyright legislation, equitable treatment of authors and artists, and fair contract terms. There are currently over 70 regional chapters, consisting of more than 22,000 members worldwide, who work in writing and illustrating in all genres, from young readers to young adult novels.It is the largest children's writing organization in the world.
1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Records of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators consists of newsletters from 1980-2010, flyers and brochures for the Annual Conference, and correspondence from the chapter's Regional Advisors for 1992.
The Records are arranged in a single series in folders.
Provenance and Acquisition
The records were donated to the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Authors Subject Source: Fast
- Children's literature Subject Source: Fast
- Fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrators Subject Source: Fast
- New England (general region) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Nonprofit organizations Subject Source: Fast
- Posters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators (New England) Records
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2012 June
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description