Skip to main content

University of Connecticut, Music Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2013-0048

Scope and Content note

The collection contains programs and ephemera documenting activities held in von der Mehden Hall and Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts.

Dates

  • 1931-2000

Access

The collection is open and available for research.

Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information

Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.

History

Music instruction and performance has been part of the University of Connecticut since 1894 with the employment of Miss Margaret Kenwill as instructor of music. For many years the position was a component of the responsibilities of the Lady Principal or her assistants. In 1897, Lulie G. Lincoln, instructor of instrumental and vocal music, succeeds Margaret Kenwill as Lady Principal. Other members of the early faculty include, among others with additional responsibilies: Grace Geer Instructor of Music, Elocution and Gymnastics (1902-1903); Emma H. Koller Instructor of Music and English (1903-1906); Ethel W. Slater Instructor of Music (1906); Virginia M. Sweet Instructor of Music and Elocution (1906-1907); Abby M. Hicks Instructor of Music (1907-1910); Lillian E. Berry Instructor OF Music (1910-1913); and Miriam A. Thompson Intructor of Music (1912-1917).

In 1907, the Valentine Farm (100 acres) and house (formerly the Storrs residence) is purchased for $8,500. The building is used as the first music building (present site of Whitney Dormitory). By 1939, the Music Progam had relocated to the Mechanic Arts building behind the Storrs Congregational Church.

Additional information about the Department of Music can be found on their website.

Extent

6.5 Linear Feet (4 large cardboard boxes of Music Department records (Text))

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection contains programs and ephemera documenting activities held in von der Mehden Hall and Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts.

Custodial History

The materials were collected and or produced by the Music Department in the School of Fine Arts before being transferred to the Music and Dramatic Arts Library.

Provenance and Acquisition

The materials were transferred by the Music and Dramatic Arts Library in 2013.

Related Material

Archives & Special Collections has a substantial collection of materials pertaining to the University, its history, administration, faculty, staff and students. For detailed information on these collections please contact the curator or ask at the Reading Room desk.

Title
University of Connecticut, Music Department Records
Status
Under Revision
Author
Archives & Special Collections staff
Date
2014 January
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository

Contact:
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US
860-486-2524