University of Connecticut Photograph Collection
Images of the University of Connecticut and surroundings in a variety of formats.
- Creation: undated, 1881-2006
The collection is open and available for research.
The University of Connecticut originally came into being as a farm school approved by the General Assembly of the State on April 21, 1881. It was to be called the Storrs Agricultural School, after Augustus and Charles Storrs, who donated 170 acres of land and five thousand dollars for its establishment. The school officially opened on October 7, 1881, with a class of twelve men. In 1893, women were officially permitted to enroll, although unofficial attendance began in 1891. As the institution grew, its name changed to reflect its maturation: Storrs Agricultural College (1893), Connecticut Agricultural College (1899), Connecticut State College (1933) and, the University of Connecticut (1939).
474.8 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection comprises boxes 1-560 and drawers 1-174.
Location of Copies or Alternate Formats
Digital reproductions of materials in this collection may also be found in the Archives & Special Collections digital repository
- University of Connecticut Photograph Collection
- Archives & Special Collections staff
- 2013 September
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note